Logo

for 1984 140 30

zoso

I was reading the forum here a

I was reading the forum here and with some good info thought I should fog the motor. Now I am very nervous as when the motor turned over slowly I could here a squeeking type noise comming from the outdrive seemed to be comming from the lower unit. What could this be? It sounded like rubber rubbing together but for sure was from inside of the outdrive.The motor was also cranking very very slow like something may be binding. Any info would be a help.

Did you have the earmuffs with

Did you have the earmuffs with water running throuh the waterpump impeller on the lower unit? If you dont do this the rubber impeller will burn up.

"Ok that is a relief because I

"Ok that is a relief because I did not. I never did start it just turned it over a couple of times and when i heard the noise I stopped and asked what it was here. Thank you for the response, I will not do that again.Do you think i burnt the rubber by just cranking it over without starting?"

"I'd replace the impeller

"I'd replace the impeller before you start using the boat next season.
The impeller is lubricated and cooled by the water that it pumps.
You can get away with a few revs with no water flow, but if you aren't sure how old the impeller is or have done this routinely, an impeller kit should be at the top of you post holiday shopping list."

I only did it once and the imp

I only did it once and the impeller was replaced last august so I think it should be ok. Thanks for the info.

"fire it up with the ear muffs

"fire it up with the ear muffs on and if you have plenty of water out the back, you have a good impeller."

Back