Logo

HELP newbie and itbs getting cold

2nd_chance_ii

Hi every one!(Am I gald I

Hi every one!(Am I gald I found this place)

I just got my first mercruiser. I was able to get this boat cheap through an insurance company. The boat drifted off from its previous owner and ended up on some rocks. The hull was punctured and the lower unit dinged up. Next year this will be my project.
I just got the boat yesterday and temps will be dropping below freezing any day. I'll run a little heater out there for insurance for the time being.
I want to ensure that no further damage occurs and I have no experience with I/O motors and I have no manual. The previous owner says the Engine was never submerged but when he pulled the boat out of the water and onto the trailer the water that was in the boat all ran to the back around the engine. He is not sure if water went in side or not and he never ran the boat after the incident. I don't even know if the engine has been winterized. Obviously not properly if the engine has not been run. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

"Well,........

It'd be

"Well,........

It'd be Nice if we knew What Motor,+ What Drive you're talking about........."

"You got it cheap? Good, then

"You got it cheap? Good, then spend your first 'smart' money on a good Mercruiser manual for that engine/ outdrive. And, PLEASE, buy it from this site.

A neat winter project. I envy you!

Jeff"

"I'd start with changing t

"I'd start with changing the oil in the engine and the outdrive.
Then run the engine. (If there was water in the engine oil, let then engine heat up to normal op temp, then change the oil again.)
The next step is to drain the water out of the engine and flush anti-freeze through the engine. Don't use regular automotive antifreeze. There is special stuff that is alot cheaper, and isn't bad for the environment. Just aboat all the boat/marine stores carry it... you can get the little tank kit that connects to the rabbit ears too, which makes it a little easier. You'll need about 3 or 4 gallons. While you're running it to get the antifreeze circulated through the engine, spray the fogging oil into the air intake until the engine dies. If the engine doesn't quit while fogging it, no big deal... I spray two cans of the fogging oil in at the same time and my engine keeps running. You do want to shut it off promptly though to keep as much fogging oil on the internal surfaces as possible.
If you're in a real cold place (Maine), you may want to pull the batteries and put them in the basement or heated garage.
If the boat has a fewsh water tank, you'll want to drain that, and put some of the left over antifreeze in there. Run the pump for a few seconds too. That will keep the diaphragms and seals lubricated."

"I'll definately buy the b

"I'll definately buy the book. And I'll definately buy it from this site. I'm looking forward to lots more great advise from you guys. The boat has a 6cyl alpha 1. I bought it for $500 Canadian (about $430 US). I'm in Ontario and it's getting cold so I'd better get on this today or tommorow.

Here are some pictures. It's a 1988 Doral Tara.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ehj70/boat/DSC01339.jpg"
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ehj70/boat/DSC01344.jpg"
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ehj70/boat/DSC01345.jpg"
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ehj70/boat/DSC01346.jpg"

Thanks everyone"

"Eric,.....

This May sound

"Eric,.....

This May sound abit Much,.....
But,.. Reading your 2 posts,+ the limited Info you've provided,....

I'm Guessing it's a 4.3l V6,....
I'd Check the Oil,.. Is the Level Right, or High,.?? High would mean there's Water under it in the Oil Pan,......
I'd just Drain it right there,... If you don't Run it thru the motor,... It'll be Easier to Clean it out.......
Before you Start the motor,.... I'd Pull the Outdrive,.... It's Only 8 Nuts,+ it's Off,.... I'm also Betting that the Gimbel,+ Bellows is Full of Water,....That happened when the water Rushed to the back of the boat,... It'll cause serious Damage if left to Freeze.......
While your at it,... The Outdrive itself should be Drained of Oil, Looking for Water....
Once the Drive is Off,... I'd start the motor for just a Minute,.. 60 Seconds,.... The Cooling system will still have water in it,+ you just need to circulate the Fresh Oil for alittle bit....
Then,...........
Pull the Drains out of the Block,.. There's 1 on each side, down low on the Block, just above the Oil Pan....
There's also 2 more on the Manifolds, Just above the 2 on the Block.....
If the boat has P/Steering,.. The Cooler is slung Under the motor on the Port-side,... Pull either of the Big Hoses Off it,... That'll Drain that...
You'll also want to Pull the Big Hose Off the Engines Circulating Waterpump,... There's about a Quart of water hiding there.....
Due to the Sinking,... I'd pull the Starter,.... It's going to be Full of Water,+ May, or may Not Work...But, the Shroud that surrounds the Starter,+ Flywheel is Also going to need to be Drained,... Pulling the Starter is Easier than pulling the Shroud.....
And,......
The Trim Pump Reservoir May also have Water Contamination,.... So Check it Too.......

This will keep everything from Freezing,......
But,......
You've got a Ton of work ahead of you,.....
Find a Good Shop Manual,... I prefer the Factory versions,...Put it right next to Your Favorite Reading (Mine has it's own Plumbing)Seat,+ Start Reading.........

Good Luck,.........
And Get that thing DRAINED,.... Air doesn't Freeze, Water Does......"

"Thanks all. Sorry for the lim

"Thanks all. Sorry for the limited info. I don't know alot about marine enegines and I've only had this boat about a week.(yes it is a 4.3L)
My brother-in-law is a mechanic and used to work for a guy who worked on a lot of boats. I asked him to help and he agreed but said he wasn't a real boat expert. Turns out he was holding out on me. He new his way around that motor like a pro. We checked out everything. The good news is the engine did not take a drink. All is good. We even had it running. It's drained, anti-freezed,oils changed and fogged. I'm releived. Thanks again every-one."

Back