Logo

bRude 6 How hard should it pee

peter

" I've just bought an 84 E

" I've just bought an 84 Evinrude 6 thru the classifieds at marineengine.com , and tried it out today. Ran superb, but when I compare the tell-tale "pee hole", it dribbles 2-3 drops every second rather than "racehorse streaming" like the 2000 Johnson 15 I also own. I tried to ream out the pee hole with a short coat hanger, and it became a little more forceful, but still weak compared to the 15.

What is normal on this motor? Might I be missing an impeller blade or two?

And thanks Andy for your forum and classifeds! "

"Peter.... That should be a st

"Peter.... That should be a strong forcefull stream of water shooting out that water telltale outlet. Remove the hose from the exhaust baffle plate and clean out the hose and plastic outlet fitting. Hook up a piece of hose to the elbow fitting at the exhaust baffle plate, then run the engine for a few moments to clear any debris out that might be there. Now, hook the regular hose back up and run the engine. If the water stream is still weak, drop the lower unit and inspect tbhe water pump assy.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Check the connections under

" Check the connections under the cowl too; silly problem, sometimes overlooked. If all else fails, sometimes a shot of compressed air and/or some wd40 down the pee-hole will knock out blockage.

Jon "

"Zeke.... Previously I used CR

"Zeke.... Previously I used CRC-666 to spray down powerheads etc, but since moving to Florida in 1977 I have been using WD40 on the OMC engines and have not encountered any problems such as you mention, or any problems at all for that matter that would be related to WD40.

I'm curious as to what engines you've encountered that WD40 had an adverse effect on its wiring.

Joe
"

" Joe, I also hear the same th

" Joe, I also hear the same thing a lot.-don't use WD near the wiring, but have not actually seen a problem with it. I have ssen my share of older engines, especially mercs with rotten wiring, but whether or not WD is/was the problem I just don't know. I checked WD40 web site and found recomendations to use it to displace moisture on wiring. I have used it and other similar products for many years on the interior of engines to help prevent corrosion, but I do tend too go lightly on the ignition wires. "

"Tom.... This is the first tim

"Tom.... This is the first time I've ever hear anything related to WD40 and wiring problems. In fact I've found it usefull in displacing moisture that might cause plug wires to misfire. Really curious about this deteriorating wire thing. I remember that OMC did at one time (I think around 1968) have a bad batch of wiring whereas the insulation was faulty. After a couple years or so, the insulation would simply crack and fall off. Many of us referred to it a Flea Market Wire.

Joe
"

" I pulled the hose that conne

" I pulled the hose that connects the pee-hole to the powerhead (I presume this is the "exhaust baffle plate" Joe is referring to) at the powerhead end. So the water then was coming directly out of the elbow at the powerhead, not going thru the hose to the telltale outlet. Hose itself seemed pretty clean. Started the motor and ran at idle, and mid-throttle. Still just a dribble, no force to the stream at all. Also flow DID NOT get any harder when throttle was opened. Sounds like water pump? "

" Joe,
Yeah that's what I

" Joe,
Yeah that's what I'm talking about-the wire insulation would crack and flake off, but I've seen it more on Mercs of about the same era-late 60's-mid seventies. I think it actually was just a poor quality of insulation that would not do well in the petroleum enviornment of the engines and not the WD40.
I guess we should start a new topic and discuss this further. "

"Peter.... You've either g

"Peter.... You've either got a faulty water pump or a badly clogged water passage somewhere. At any rate, I would suggest dropping the lower unit and with pressurized air (air compressor etc), blow up the copper water tube and into that water elbow that you mentioned. If there's any salt or foreign debris, that pressure should blow it out of there.

If there is a pressure resistance, I would think that the grommet (the one that Zeke spoke of) at the top of the water tube may be faulty. In which case, you would need to remove the powerhead to get at it.

While the lower unit is off, remove the water pump and inspect it.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back