Logo

Wondering if you guys could help 1972 Reinell

nerdel

" I have a 1972 Reinell boat t

" I have a 1972 Reinell boat that has a destroyed 318 in it. From what I can see about the engine it is a standard Chrysler power plant, which mounts up with a special bell housing and shaft to the out drive which is a Volvo Penta. My original intention was to try to rebuild the 318 it had in it, but after I had it apart and inspected the block I came to the conclusion that I have a very heavy paper weight on my hands. There are severe ridges in the block and one cylinder is badly rusted, must have sat with that intake valve open and took on some water. (the boat sat for may of a year). It had also been rebuilt once and is turned .20 over already. Needless to say now I am in a dilemma I need to replace it. I would also at the same time like to go a bit bigger, 340 or 360 trying to stick with a block that every thing should bolt up to. The question I have is all of the bolt patterns, mounting points, and accessories points, exhaust manifold, and everything else interchangeable between those sizes and would there be a difference between a marine engine block and an automotive block for Chrysler that would hinder me from doing this?

Thanks for the help
Paul Lawson "

" This forum has covered the m

" This forum has covered the marine verses auto block diffs several times. There are differences, but usually nothing to get concerned about in the long run. The biggest concern is in the areas of carbs, starters, altenators, distributors etc, in other words not so much the block as the bolt ons. As far as the bolt ons stay with marine style stuff for durability, performance and SAFETY. Yes I am shouting safety. Most marine engines are set up on a 22" bolt pattern for your engine mount centerlines. Depending on what engine you get and what mounts you buy this may differ slightly, but most mounts are adjustable.As far as the exhaust, and acces location and size, measure yours, take a couple of Polaroids, and hit the junk yard for a runner. Of course to get a 340 or 360 you may have to go back in time or post your wants on the classified section of this site. Also wont hurt to visit marinas and boatyards to look for boats with bad hulls and good powerplants. Most yards are happy to sell off these dogs for little or nothing, just to get the yard space. Good luck and keep us posted. Kim "

" Oh almost forgot, If you rep

" Oh almost forgot, If you repower, dont go much larger on the HP rating until you check the drive to be sure it can handle the additional power. Kim "

" Don't know if you're

" Don't know if you're still looking, but, I've got a 77 mercruiser (233hp ford 351 ci) with a Mercruiser #1 outdrive Stainless prop inc. Runs really good. Unfortunately, the stringers in the hull are rotted out so I also have a very big, heavy paperweight. Motor/outboard are still in the hull and sitting on a nice trailer. I'll let it go for $3500 if you're anywhere near St. Louis Mo. "

Back