Logo

What year is my Evinrude Starflite 75hp

L

LilWes278

" I just acquired an Evinrude

" I just acquired an Evinrude Starflite 75hp motor, but I have no idea what year it is. The boat that it was on was a 1961. The cover is light blue and white. I'm also having trouble finding the model number. Anybody know where the number plate is located? Are these motors any good? Do they have generators to charge the batteries? I really don't know what I have, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. "

" Hi Lilwes; The # plate is on

" Hi Lilwes; The # plate is on the transom clamp and the welch plug on the heads (3/4" round silver plate that might be rusted)get the model # off the motor, let us know!!! "

Temp< Joe looks like a co

Temp< Joe looks like a couple of 20 deg. nights this week here in Jersey. Havent run motor in couple weeks. Should i just leave motor as is till after cold snap or tilt down (outboard)? Late this year pulling boat out. You can laugh down where you are about cold weather. Thanks Gary

" Hi; just found this site and

" Hi; just found this site and thought I'd dip my oar in the water. I know about the 1963 models, but I believe they're pretty similar throughout the early '60s. The 75 hp Starflite should have a model number of 75nxx, where n is the last digit of the year built, and xx will indicate model/equipment. For 1963, the Starflite had model numbers 75392 (standard length shaft) and 75393 (long shaft).

If you can't find a serial number anywhere, I know that for at least the first five years they used a "mark" number indicated by a medallion on the motor hood. The V-4 was introduced for the 1958 model year, so the 1959 was the Starflite II, 1961 was Starflite III, and so forth. To my knowledge that went up at least until 1963 (I bought some parts including a motor hood for a 1963 which had a Starflite V medallion on the back).

The Starflite had an alternator-type charging system with the stator ring mounted under the flywheel and the magnets as part of the flywheel. They require the use of a specific control box which includes the regulator -- hope you got that with your purchase (should have been part of the wiring harness).

The Starflite differs from the Speedifour in the following ways: Starflite has the alternator; Speedifour came standard without charging system but a separately-mounted generator was optional. Starflite had electric starter with an emergency pull rope in a compartment in the fold-down front cover hatch, Speedifour came standard with electric start +plus+ a recoil starter on top of the motor accessible through the front cover hatch (and let me tell you, you have to be a *real man* to pull-start one of those bad boys, especially if the plugs aren't brand-new and gapped perfectly :^) ).

In '63 at least, the Starflite was painted dark charcoal gray and silver, the Speedifour was blue and white; this might, however, have been an optional paint scheme.

Starflite used an electric-shift gearcase, Speedifour used mechanical shift. The Starflite used a throttle-shifter control that had pushbuttons for shifting and a cable-operated throttle, Speedifour used cables for throttle and shift. IMPORTANT: the electric-shift gearcase uses a different gear oil than the mechanical-shift gearcase...BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT OIL!!! Use of the mechanical gearcase oil will ruin the Starflite gearcase. If there's any question about what's in there, drain it and refill with the right stuff. Allow me to quote the 1963 Starflite owner's manual: "CAUTION: When adding to, or refilling gearcase you must use "OMC TYPE "C" LUBRICANT" which has been formulated for use with the new Selectric gearcase to prevent against damage to bearings and gears. Improper lubrication of bearings and gears can result in extensive damage." I believe that OMC has a different name for this lubricant now. I would only use OMC gearcase lubricant.

Starflite uses a coil-and-battery (automotive type) ignition system, Speedifour uses a magneto. This means that the Starflite requires a battery to run.

To me, one of the big advantages of the Speedifour is the recoil starter and magneto. This makes the Speedifour completely self-contained. As long as you don't tear your arm off trying to pull-start it, it can be started and run completely independently of a battery. Downside to the magneto system is that the distributor cap costs $150.00.

I have a 1963 Speedifour that I got from a neighbor with a boat. The engine hadn't been run in 14 years. After overhauling the magneto, replacing the coils and points, replacing the plugs (and one cylinder head due to a stripped-out plug hole that had already been heli-coiled once), and general tuning-up, the engine started on about the fifth pull and ran beautifully all last summer.

The specified plugs are the Champion J4J, AC M42K, or Autolite A21X. These numbers are not current; the current equivalents are Autolite 303, Champion J6C, or NGK B6Y. Gap to .030 in. torque to 20 to 20.5 ft/lbs (240-246 in/lbs) and use anti-seize. A torque wrench is recommended as there aren't a lot of threads in the plug hole and a new head is pricey. Breaker point gap is .020 in.

I've been told that these are very dependable engines as long as they're not overloaded i.e., do not put a high-pitch prop on them; err on the side of lower pitch. Overpitched props kill the powerheads, I'm told.

Good luck with your new acquisition; it should be fun! "

I have recently gotten posses

I have recently gotten possesion of a 1963 starflite V model#75392 evinrude motor and would like any helful hints from anyone on how to brig it back to life ...also looking fr help with the hull id # and determining what type of baot this is..a 1963 # w3738463 open type cutter....

Back