Logo

Adding a 2nd battery help please

D

d jones

"I have a single battery Maxum

"I have a single battery Maxum 2300 & want to add a second battery. Ive been given mixed advice i.e. I was told to simply add the battery and connect it accross to existing battery ! Then I was told this wouldnt work & that it would likely catch fire due to overloading the wiring between the batteries.

Is there a simple solution to this problem - if you know then please email me at [email protected] - Many Thanks"

"You can add another battery o

"You can add another battery of equal voltage wired in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) which will maintain the system voltage and add capacity. However, a marine battery switch is a good idea to manage multiple batteries. Visit www.guestco.com for more info.

"

" add a second battery with a

" add a second battery with a batt switch , and designate them , one for cranking or starting your engine, the other for house IE: the stereo etc. Also I would install a isolator so that they can not draw power from each other. Do not over charge them either, "

An isolator is independant of

An isolator is independant of the battery switch and is an inexpensive fail safe help.

If your wanting to have a sec

If your wanting to have a second battrie as a back up or for say running a trolling motor or lights and still maintain the current battrie for starting engine. Just go to auto store.. buy an old ford solenoid. Hook the hot wire to the ignition so it is hot only when key or switch is turned on.Ground to ground and hot side of second battery to one side of solenoid. The other side to main battery hot side... this charges both battries when running. But when key or switch is off. Only battery being drawn on is second battery.

Back