Logo

Hard starting CC Catalina

J

Joe Smith

" My 1977 Chris craft Catalina

" My 1977 Chris craft Catalina starts beautifully as long as it is run every other day. If I wait three or four days, its a real beast. crank, crank, and more cranking. I can tell that there is no gas in the carb by the sound of the accelerator pump for the first three cranks. Then on the fourth, as soon as the fuel is going, the engine starts immediatly. Fuel pump?? The engine is the original Marine Power 305K with a Rochester Quadrajet. Thanks guys! "

"Hi Joe, I have a 1980 251

"Hi Joe, I have a 1980 251 Catalina with the same engine and the same problem. In an effort to solve this situation, I've replaced the fuel pump (engine driven diaphragm type), fuel lines, rebuilt the Q-jet and tested the main fuel filter for leaks.

The problem persists. I'm not smelling any fuel vapors around the carb, engine or bilge after sitting for a time, so I suspect the fuel is leaking into the intake manifold. Oil dilution hasn't been a problem, but the amount of fuel involved is pretty small, so that may not be apparent.

The quick fix to start the engine is to squirt a little fuel into the carb - fires up immediately when this is done. But I don't like this as a regular procedure. I know an electric fuel pump will probably prime the system well enough to stop the excessive cranking. I've also heard about putting a priming squeeze bulb in the fuel line, much like an outboard, but don't like that idea much.

And none of this tells me where the gas is going. I'm still working on this, so if I get a solution, I'll post it here. In the meantime, carefully shoot a little fuel down the carb and save your starter.

"

I also have a 305k and it is a

I also have a 305k and it is also hard to start after siting for a couple of days. I think the gas is draining back in to the fuel tank. I am going to try puting a fuel check valve at the gas tank. this should prevent back flow into the tank.

If all motors are using a roch

If all motors are using a rochester 4bbl the plugged drilled passages are leaking on the fuel body (bootom side of center portion of the carburetor). Remove the thottle plate assembly to see if they seated properly. Use a flat punch and tap to reseal or fuel resistant epoxy over the lead plugs.

Back