Logo

Volvo AQAD 30 diesel overheat

T

topcat

" Looking for some advice, las

" Looking for some advice, last trip of the season the temp overheat alarm sounded and there was no water in the header tank. Topped up water with boat out of the water and seems to be holding. Any ideas on most probable cause, heat exchangers or cylinder gasket?? "

" Topcat,

I assume that the

" Topcat,

I assume that the missing water was not found in the bilge and that you know that the water level was correct when you started the trip.

You should start with getting the engine up to operating temp and check for leaks and/or coolant loss. If you loose coolant proceede with getting the cooling system pressure tested. This may point an experienced tech in the right direction.

Karl "

" Topcat,
Sounds like the typ

" Topcat,
Sounds like the typical 30, 40 series overheat...
The head cracks between the valves, you spend lots
of money to get it welded , and it will still crack..
I personally owned 3 different 40's, all cracked....
Volvo never did a recall, and they will tell to just run it...since it is an old engine, just add water and run it.
Save your money for a used cummins 4-B, you will be
thousands $$ ahead.
Eric "

Eric is right about the crack

Eric is right about the cracked heads. Also you can have a cup get loose in the head and eat it's way down into the water jacket you will see foaming in the expansion tank. Both cases . The standard carbonmonoxide test will not work because you are compresing un burnt gases. Del

Back