Logo

No water getting to the block

stl_boater

" I just replaced a shredded i

" I just replaced a shredded impeller in the lower unit, Got all of the rubber out of the lower unit, and put it all back together.

Now, it seems that I am not getting any water to my engine block. (hose from the sterndrive is empty, and water never comes out the gimbal housing when I run it)

I am assuming that I have rubber impeller pieces blocking the passage to the engine thermostat housing. Is there a way to backfush it out? Do I have to remove my lower unit, and the copper water takeup pipe assy to do that?

I have a 77 mercury 233 (351ci ford) "

" You said you replaced a shre

" You said you replaced a shredded impeller. How hot did it get. There is a plastic housing holding the upper end of the copper tube coming from the impeller. Also did you melt the housing causing the stainless insert to turn.Also did you pull water pump housing and get pieces from the intake side of pump. When you reasembled and it sounds like you only pulled the lower half of the drive, did you get the copper tube into the water pump housing. You can run a hose into the hose at the thermostat housing coming from the drive water should have resistence from impeller and should only come from the intake holes on the drive. If water comes out of prop or gimbal housing you have melted or improper assy. "

When rebuilding an engine is

When rebuilding an engine is it normal practice to rep;ace the manifolds and risers on an engine that is 6 years old. I would think that the most one would do would be to inspect for cracks and maybe magnaflux. Also this engine has never leaked water before.

" It got hot enough to melt al

" It got hot enough to melt all of the plastic, including the impeller pump housing and the plastic housing at the top of the copper tube. I replaced the copper tube, and the plastic housing that the copper tube goes in too (all one mercury assy from the part guy). I do not know what you mean by the "stainless insert"

I did get all of the rubber pieces out from the bottom of the cavity in the lower unit, and totally replaced the impeller pump housing (upper and lower, gaskets, seals etc). I did get the bottom end of the copper tube into the top of the impeller pump when re-installing the Lower Unit. All I can assume is that some of the impeller shot up towards the engine. The hose that the water comes up in from the sterndrive is totaly empty and dry, and the water jackets and block are totaly dry "

" It sounds to me that you did

" It sounds to me that you didn't get the impeller drive key in place or it has slipped out during assembly. Take the unit apart once again and check everything, VERY THOROUGHLY. "

Take a look at the power stea

Take a look at the power stearing cooler. There is usually a screen in the cooler and if its blocked no or little water will go anywhere. Take the hose leading from the raw water sourse off the power stearing cooler and also take off the hose from the thermostat housing. Use a garden hose to flush water into the hose leading from the power steering cooler. So basically you are fushing water in the reverse direction through the oil cooler. Watch for pieces of old impeller.

" Can I / should I backflush

" Can I / should I backflush the intake hose from where it connects to the thermostat housing? Is it possible that I will break sonmething else when I do that? I assume I'd need to remove the L/U and copper pipe assy before I bacflush, but is there something else I need to remove before I backflush.

PS, RANDY, I don't think I have power steering. "

" Yes, Stl... pull the L/U, th

" Yes, Stl... pull the L/U, then backflush from the T-stat housing end... the copper pipe Doesn't Have to come out.. just the lower unit....
if that doesn't cure it, Go with what gary says... Do it again, Carefully.... "

" can anyone help me with a 26

" can anyone help me with a 260 merc stern drive that is overheating. the boat was fine untill after it set 4 months the the boat yard were i store it high and dry is spening a small fortune replacing pumps hoses thermostats etc but cand sold problem.

I think it is salted up sitting for months I want them to flush with a product like saltaway they either don,t know or have never used it

anyone have any experience like this
by the way new manifolds risers thermostat housing etc 1 year ago "

"I would like to replace my im

"I would like to replace my impellers .I have a 1990 ski centurion, with a 351 Indmar. I seem to get the run around on this at the factory. Could anyone tell me where to go, or send me Instructions on this topic I sure would appreciate it. Mark p.s. my e-mail address is [email protected]. AGAIN THANKS."

Back