Logo

1985 70hp Evinrude loses power

scott

Contributing Member
" I'm having some problems

" I'm having some problems with my 1985 Evinrude 70 hp after having the power head rebuilt. It runs great at first for however long I have it going. After stopping, however, it loses all power and cannot throttle up. Just for giggles, the last time it happened, I pushed in the choke, and the rpm's shot up. There is a constant stream of water comping out of the "peep hole", so I don't think it's overheating (the water pump and imeller were replaced during the spring). I'm inclined to believe it's the fuel pump or a bad carb rebuid ( i rebuilt the carbs last summer). This same problem happens with both the boat's internal tank and a 6 gallon tank and different connecting hoses. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. i checked th ecompression (110 psi on all three cylinders) and spark (jumped about a 1/2" gap). "

"Scott.... The clue lies in yo

"Scott.... The clue lies in your statement about pushing the choke in and the RPMs shot up. That indicates the problem is fuel related. From what you've said, I assume that if you did not shut the engine down, it would run fine until the tank ran out of fuel. If this is the case, I would suspect that with the engine shut down, for some reason, the fuel is being siphoned back into the tank(s).

Try pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard before you attempt to restart and run the engine after sgutting it down to see if there's any improvement.

Joe
"

" Joe,

Thanks for getting b

" Joe,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Unfortunately, it's time to winterize the boat. When i took off the air cover, there was fuel in all three carb air intakes. I also noticed that the fuel supply hoses going to and from the fuel filter canister had a real nasty kink in each - both were bent 180 degrees. Could either of these lend insight into what's happening? P.S. i already ordered the carb rebuild kits... "

"Scott..... It sounds like you

"Scott..... It sounds like you're speaking of a "kink" such as what one would do to a garden hose to shut the flow of water off. If so, that type kink would cause a definite fuel restriction. But by the same token, that type kink should not have allowed the engine to run properly in the first place.

Joe
"

Back