Logo

QUESTION ABOUT OUTBOARD SERVICE MANUALS

C

charles r. smith

" I HAVE AN CLYMER SHOP MANUAL

" I HAVE AN CLYMER SHOP MANUAL IT COVERS FROM 48-235HP 1973-1990 ENGINES. I HAVE AN 1976 JOHNSON 85 V4, AND THE ILLISTRATIONS IN THIS BOOK FOR MY ENGINE ARE MISLEADING. EXAMPLE:THERE IS NO SHIFT ROD CLIP SECURING THE ROD TO THE LEVER. TOOK AWHILE TO FIGURE THAT DISSASEMBLY OUT. AND IT SHOWS MY MOTOR HAVING TWO THERMOSTATES, IT ONLY HAS ONE. SO MY QUESTION IS: ARE THE JOHNSON SERVICE AND PARTS MANUALS FOR ONE MOTOR OR A RANGE OF MOTORS? I REALLY NEED ONE FOR JUST FOR MY ENG IF THEY HAVE ONE. SO IM GETTING THE RIGHT INFO. AND THE ILLISTRATIONS MAKE SINCE. "

" I've also found the Clym

" I've also found the Clymer manuals next to impossible to use. They cover wide ranges of years and models, and tell you how to rebuild a "type A carburetor" or "type 1 ignition system". Problem is, how do you know if your carb is "type A" or type B"?

The service manuals from OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) are much better, specific to your model and year made. But harder to find. "

" I agree with Peter. These, a

" I agree with Peter. These, and just about all this type service manuals, will tell you step- by -step how to change a tire or replace spark plugs! Factory manuals are more expensive but worth the extra cost. "

"I might as well throw my 2 ce

"I might as well throw my 2 cents in on this one. And in the interest of full disclosure I will start by saying that I sell aftermarket manuals (Seloc) as well as the factory manuals for a variety of inboard engines and outboard motors.

1) Not all factory manuals refer to only one model of engine. Many of the factory service manuals (including Johnson) will include more than one model, but they usually do have full specs on each model.

2) In general I would agree that the factory manuals are more specific to a particular model than the aftermarket manuals.... but often the aftermarket model do a better job of showing a step-by-step proceedure that is common to the models it covers. Often times someone will ask me for a manual that shows them how to "winterize" and engine (for example)... in many cases the aftermarket manuals cover it as a topic... while the factory manuals just describe the cooling system. The aftermarket manuals often provide more photos also.

So... my feeling is that both types of manuals serve a pupose and provide useful information... depending on what you are looking for.

Regards,
Andrew
"

Back