Logo

283 with manual trans

tom

Regular Contributor
" I have a '61 continental

" I have a '61 continental, 283, manual trans. It is not the original engine, but close. It does appear to have been run in this boat.

Numbers 1 and 2 rods have spun bearings.

The crank has a hole about 1/8" bored in from
the front into the oil passage. This appears to supply oil pressure to the trans.

The local engine builder for ACBS members doesn't beleive this hole is required. It's presence would explain the loss of pressure and the resulting
spun bearings. But I really don't know what actually happens to this boat or engine before I got it.

The info I've been able to gather so far doesn't begin to delv into the lubrication aspects of this setup. If someone...anyone knows what should or shouldn't be there I would GREATLY appreciate some information.

It's very possible that this engine came from some other boat which needed it and this one doesn't.

Please share your thoughts and knowledge. "

"Tom,

The 1/8" hole is

"Tom,

The 1/8" hole is necessary to lubricate a manual transmission if supplied. It is not necessary with the hydraulic gear. All the manual transmissions oil drained back to the crackcase.

Regards,
Gil Plumb"

My son in law has a wooden Ne

My son in law has a wooden New Jersey skif 28 ft When attempting to move it it went into gear allright but although the engine speeded up we had no increase in speed. It sounded like a whining noise from the transmission. We decided to pull the transmission. The engine is a gas 225 hp mercruiser engine. I was not able to find any information on the transmission by calling various dealers for a manual. It is supposed to be a Borg Warner transmission. Would you happen to know what kind of clutch assembly they have. The transmission seems to be in two pieces but I feel we need to disconnect it at the engine housing. Where would I be able to get parts and a maual for the transmission or is it beyond the ordinary persons ability to repair. There is a three position lever on the transmission. We live in Jupiter Florida.

" Lawrence,

If you haven&#3

" Lawrence,

If you haven't solved the problem yet, you could give me a call and I might be able to help.
860-767-7351.

Regards,
Gil Plumb "

Back