Logo

Sticky rings

S

steve yager

" Joe, steve again the 79 evin

" Joe, steve again the 79 evinrude 85 hp, before i put this boat too use it sat in a garage well kept before it was shut down, but iv'e heard you or someone talk about running "de-carb" in the fuel to free sticky rings, now i havent done a compresion check but would it be a good idea too run some of this in mine for a tank or so of fuel?
the engine runs good but seems a like i can get a little bit more out of it.. thanks "

"Steve.... I wouldn't be p

"Steve.... I wouldn't be putting decarb in the fuel, It would be better to have the carb face plate off, then spray it into the carburetor throats as instructed... follow the instructions on the can.

Hard to say if it will help or not, but it will not damage the engine. Best to take a compression reading first and make a note of the readings per cylinder number. Then later take another reading which will give you a comparision that indicate that there was a improvement or not.

BTW... It wasn't me that spoke about the decarb solution, but it does work if the rings aren't stuck bad, and the carbon isn't excessive.

Joe
"

" thanks Joe ill try it this e

" thanks Joe ill try it this evening, i didnt know if it was you or not about the decarb, but thanks for the info. steve. b.t.w. what should a tolerable comp rating be for this engine? "

Re: " thanks Joe ill try it this e

Have a 1986 EJRCDR 1.2hp under repair
Have done carb, waterpump,points.
have low compression , 80 lbs.,
piston not scored, cyl walls good, rings not broken/nor sticky
should I put in std rings or oversized ?

Re: " thanks Joe ill try it this e

Have a 1986 EJRCDR 1.2hp under repair - Have done carb, waterpump,points. - have low compression , 80 lbs., - piston not scored, cyl walls good, rings not broken/nor sticky - should I put in std rings or oversized ?

This post is going on 14 years old. It's best to start your own topic via the previous page for proper coverage.

Back