Logo

PCM 350 plug life

R

R Brassord

" I am running a single 1988 F

" I am running a single 1988 FWC 350 PCM with about 1200 hours on it in a Luhrs Alura 10,000 pound semidisplacement boat. I usually run in the mid 20s rpm or lower. I can get 4000 rpm firewalled.
I find I must change the plugs and points after 20-30 hours, or she skips and stalls. I tried Ac plugs that failed in 10 hours, and now run NGKs which do better. I have 185 in all cylinders, a rebuilt carb, and standard original distributor using Eichlin points.
What should I expect for time on plugs and points? More than 20 hours?
Ron Brassord Lighthouse Pt Fl. "

I'd say your plugs are tr

I'd say your plugs are trying to tell you that you have Other problems.....Are they fouled black ? running to rich ? Carb problem..... Are they burnt off ? electrodes missing ? timing problem......
you should get ATLEAST 100hrs.....

" The plugs are black with a w

" The plugs are black with a wet crusty substance.The choke on the carb is wired open since I boat in Florida. The points are set with a dwell meter, and the engine is timed with a meter to manual specs. The fuel is curent high test, and filtered with a large Raycor "

"Sounds like you're runnin

"Sounds like you're running too rich, Ron. If your engine can cold start and run without a working choke and without pumping the throttle, you're definitely running too rich. You might also consider using a Pertronix electronic ignition module instead of points. An excellent upgrade - inexpensive and worth every dime.

"

" I only need to pump the thro

" I only need to pump the throttle one time to start the cold engine, and not at all when warm. So, how do you have an engine run rich? I thought the high speed jets in a carb were fixed?
I recently changed the last possible item--upgraded to the best quality spark wires, but no noticeable change in performance.
I've wondered about electronic ignition, but get mixed advise. I've had small diesels in my boats for years and got spoiled by the lack of ignition problems. I'd be ageeable to anything to get rid of points effectively. How would I check out Pertronix?
Thanks for your interest Ron B "

"Yeah, diesels really keep ign

"Yeah, diesels really keep ignition system costs down! ;^) If we go with too much fuel fouling your plugs, some causes could be internal leaks from gaskets, float needle(s) not seating, loose or incorrect jets, fuel pressure too high. I'm thinking your PCM has a Holley or Q-jet carb.

Other than carb stuff, oil fouling is a possibility but less likely. Have you checked the amount of blow-by coming out the PCV valve hole in the valve covers? Just a thought.

At this point, I think I'd try to beg, borrow or "otherwise acquire" another carb of the same model and replace yours to see if the symptoms stay the same. Your local shop might be able to help you with this.

You can Google on "Pertronix", but the folks at http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/marine.htm have given me good service in the past. Contact Carl Dudash at Retrorockets. This is a magnetic pickup module, relatively easy to install and very reliable. I do keep my old points in a baggie just in case, but haven't needed them in years.

"

Back