Logo

62 diesel

S

Santiago Marty Jr.

Hello to all. Can someone pro

Hello to all. Can someone provide info on the GM 6.2 for marine use? I've seen several classifies selling this engine and was not aware of their use. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanking all in advance.

" In my neck of the woods &#40

" In my neck of the woods (northeast) the 6.2L diesel is considered a medium service throw away diesel, not really suitable for work boats. This is due to the fact that after 5000 hours or so they are dead metal. Now I am sure there are some applications, say in a low use pleasure craft where they may be OK, but most 6.2L owners I have known, will replace rather than repair or rebuild. Guess it depends on intended use. Once again this is my own personal opinion. Good Luck, Kim "

" Thanks Kim. I too am in the

" Thanks Kim. I too am in the Northeast and plan to use, if possible, in a 26ft Silverton weighing in at about 6800lbs only used in the weekends. She currently has a 454 installed, which is runing great, but was wondering about a diesel set up. I have a 6.2 in the garage from a light duty truck and it seem to match the 454 in terms of fit. What I need to know is about the marinization of the 6.2 If you help me in that direction maybe I can determine if this swap would be of any good. Current set up is a 454 mated to a Paragon v-drive. She originally came equipped with the Chrysler 318. Thanking ou in advance. "

" I know a lot of the 6.2s wer

" I know a lot of the 6.2s were marine application but do not know what exactly has to be done to that particular engine to convert it. It has been my experience that if you go with a marine engine already converted, it is easier. No jury rigging and replacement parts are over the counter, etc. As far as power, I do not know the HP ratings or RPM ratings on the two engines. Last year I did away with my 440, (300 HP@ 4500 RPM) and put in a rebuilt Isuzu diesel, (206 HP@ 2600 RPM) I changed the drive ratio from 2 to 1 and went to a 1.5 to one and a moderate decrease in my prop pitch. I used to run about 35 MPH and now go 26 MPH but do it on one quarter of the fuel. Yes thats not a typo!!!! I used to average 8 gallons an hour and now average less than 2... Of course less speed, a little more noise and weight , but for a working/pleasure boat it is great. I can cruise at 18 MPH for hours on end at about 1.5 gallonsper hour and the engine is barely working. The best advantage is getting rid of the gas fumes/fire hazard. My suggestion is see if anyone local has a diesel in a similiar boat or check with the dealer to see if it was offered in a diesel version and compare performance. You will lose some speed, gain fuel mileage, longevity of engine, lower maintenance, but at what cost. I plan to keep my boat for a long time so the payoff will be worth it. Good luck and keep me posted on what you do. Hope I did not drone on too long. Kim "

" Thank you Kim. No, you did n

" Thank you Kim. No, you did not drone on it. In fact you have been very helpful and given me a broader insight into what's needed. Unfortunately I know of no one in my area that has a 6.2. The one I have in the garage is a light duty model rated at 165hp. My current motor advertises 330hp which is mated to a 2 to 1 ratio Paragon v-drive. I am not a speedster and I am more interested in fuel burn. I usually run anywhere in the 12 to 18 mph range. As stated in previous note I use the boat only on weekends. I perform all work myself so labor costs are not an issue. I just don't know where to go for info on things like exhaust manifolds, risers, bellhousing to relocate the starter, fresh water cooling, and so on. That's my hang up. If you know, can you please direct me? This seems to be a nice winter project. Thanking you again in advance. "

" Not sure where to send you t

" Not sure where to send you to find these parts, but surf the net or repost your request. As far as installing the diesel you will certainly have to change prop pitch/size and may consider changing the gear ratio as well. Any good prop shop can run your current info and your diesel engine info, through their computer, and tell you what to expect for speed. As far as fuel burn expect at least twice your existing mileage or in certain cases (like mine) much more. I believe Mercury had a diesel inboard that was 6.2L based but am not sure. Maybe a call to your Merc dealer can help. Good luck, and keep me up to speed on your project. Kim "

" Kim. Are you from Yardmouth,

" Kim. Are you from Yardmouth, Maine? If so , are you the one selling the 6.2 that just came out of the machine shop? "

" Yes, but it is a basket case

" Yes, but it is a basket case, ready for reassembly and does not have the manifolds, etc. Kim PS its Yarmouth, Me "

" Thank you Kim for the respon

" Thank you Kim for the response and honesty. Do you work/own a marine yard of some sort? I see where you answer several questions of various matter pertaining to boats. As you see I am still researching for possible repower and actually located a place that may be able to get hold of manifolds, risers, etc., etc.. Still not sure though if it's going to be cost effective. I wish I had access to view a 6.2 set up. That in itself would answer many questions. Take care. "

" I dont run a marine yard, bu

" I dont run a marine yard, but do my own work on my work boats, and have several friends who are marine mechanics, boat builders,etc. I use my boats to get to the islands in the area, as I am an electrician who specializes in island and marine work, hence the name Island Electric. I also live on an island. You may want to ask around at various boatyards and find out if anyone has a 6.2L in a boat. They can also give you a good report on performance, fuel use, etc. Good luck, and keep the message board posted as to your findings. Kim "

" Santiago Marty Jr, This may

" Santiago Marty Jr, This may be a little late but another diesel that would be a direct replacement is the Peninsular Engines series of V8 diesels. The range of horsepower is 190 to 340hp. If you had a 454 Merc in your boat it will fit exactly. It weighs only 1000lbs.
Give Matt Koning (president)a call at 616 530 1298 and I'm sure he can help you out. See his web site: www.peninsulardiesel.com They have reworked the engine to last and last, etc.

Tell him Don Murray sent you-Good luck! "

" Hi:

I'm in search of

" Hi:

I'm in search of a rebuild diesel marine engine inboard, 240hp.

Prefery Yanmar or Cummins.

Please advise price.

Regards,

Jose
PEPEBOAT "

I am looking at purchasing a

I am looking at purchasing a 32' Marinette that has 1300 hours on the motors. (318's) They run fine right now but I am curious of the avg. hours before a complete overhaul will need to be done. Thanks for any help.

Jeff

" Jeff that is always a tough

" Jeff that is always a tough question to answer as there are so many variables. Depending on use, maintenance and luck you can expect to overhaul or replace after 3000 to 10000 hours. I have seen some engines that are complete junk after 1500 hrs and know of one that is headed over 30,000 hours with just a valve job. Generally the 318 was a great engine. Kim "

"You'll want to get RID of

"You'll want to get RID of that 2:1 tranny. Get a 1:1 Velvet Drive. A friend of mine has a 31' Roamer that was re-engined with a pair of 6.2 s. We just re-started them the other day, after dry-dock to get it ready for re-launch.
Sorry I butted in, I usually hang at the OMC Sterndrive forum."

Back