Logo

Source for obsolete wheels Split Rims 9 x 4 inch 5 lug, fits 6.90 x 9.0 tire ?

SeaHawk53

Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum, Just bought an older pontoon boat trailer (bunk type) 1971 Hoosier, Trailer is very solid but tires are very worn out and no spare included.. Tire size is 6.90 x 9.00 and they do use inner tubes. ..Wheel size is 9 x 4 (5 lug bolt circle) Would like to include a photo of the wheel(s) here but not sure how to go about it.. I am looking to find at least one wheel to use as a spare on this trailer. I am hoping some of the long time boaters out there might know where I can obtain this type of wheel either new or used .. these wheels are the two piece "split rims" which are unbolted and separated for tire replacement. Of course I would like to just put some replacement steel wheels on (tubeless type) but so far I find no source for them.. I plan to do some out of state hauling with this trailer, so step one (of course) is new tires, and come up with a spare. brand new wheels would be preferred , but will settle for used if i can find em... Thanks for any helpful ideas you might have, much appreciated..
SeaHawk 53

you need to find the diameter of the '5 lug bolt circle'...if its 4 1/2", there are options available...use your favorite search engine and you will find what you are looking for....beware: the prices for trailer tires are significant nowadays...

I'd be inclined to go with the 'newer' stuff as I haven't seen one of the wheels you described in decades...

I'd also consider new bearings and grease seals - they are relatively cheap compared to new wheels and will go a long way towards mitigating issues with an older trailer (assuming the frame is still solid)...

you need to find the diameter of the '5 lug bolt circle'...if its 4 1/2", there are options available...use your favorite search engine and you will find what you are looking for....beware: the prices for trailer tires are significant nowadays...

I'd be inclined to go with the 'newer' stuff as I haven't seen one of the wheels you described in decades...

I'd also consider new bearings and grease seals - they are relatively cheap compared to new wheels and will go a long way towards mitigating issues with an older trailer (assuming the frame is still solid)...
Thank You for your reply, I think the bolt circle is 4 1/2 inch. I will have to remove the wheel from trailer to accurately measure the diameter of the wheel lug bolt circle and pilot hole (center hole) and get back on here later.. The trailer is a 1971 model Hoosier, frame seems rock solid, probably no road salt exposure so it seems.. Newly wired and lights good.. Bearings I believe are commonly available so I will be having a close look to inspect, either repacking or replacing (or both) Your reply is much appreciated..
SeaHawk53

Thank You for your reply, I think the bolt circle is 4 1/2 inch. I will have to remove the wheel from trailer to accurately measure the diameter of the wheel lug bolt circle and pilot hole (center hole) and get back on here later.. The trailer is a 1971 model Hoosier, frame seems rock solid, probably no road salt exposure so it seems.. Newly wired and lights good.. Bearings I believe are commonly available so I will be having a close look to inspect, either repacking or replacing (or both) Your reply is much appreciated..
SeaHawk53
Thank You makomark, your advice to go "newer" on the wheels is very good advice, but have not been able to source any replacement hubs which would be correct fit on the old axle.. They did mention the option of changing the entire axle, so modern hubs could be used, but since I have two very good (old) wheels, and the (new) tires, inner tubes, as well as wheel bearings / races are easily obtainable, all I really am lacking to be "road ready" is a spare wheel..
Since my boat is a "vintage' one (1973 Dolphin) having a trailer of similar vintage is something I wouldn't mind, provided it is in sound, safe, trouble free condition.. So my search continues for (at least) one spare wheel (two would be even better) I do have those dimensions which I had omitted previously for these wheels.. They are (again) Steel 2 piece (split rims) 9 b 4 inch. Tire size they use is 6.90 x 9.0 inch Bolt circle is Five Lug on a 5.0 inch bolt circle. The "Pilot" portion of the Hub measures 4.75 inches.. So the Pilot hole in the wheel itself must be slightly larger to accommodate.. I found reference to wheels which had the 5 lug on 5 inch and a 3.91 center pilot hole (but no wheels were left) Bingo. I don't have an inside Mic to pinpoint exact (pilot) diameter but this sounds like the right wheel all right.. No after market source seems to exist , lack of demand I am sure.. So I continue the search, for now.. I bought the new bearings and races today. Tires (Carlisle)and tubes (Firestone) are due to arrive over next few days.. Going to get the new bearing races pressed in tomorrow, reassemble and be all set for arrival of the tires etc.. Now if can just find me a spare ;)
Thanks Again SeaHawk53

After being unable to find a parts source for "conversion" hubs (to a more modern type) I ended up putting new bearings and races in the old hubs, which meant I would have to locate at least one more wheel in order to have a spare tire to carry. The correct wheel for this application (1971 Hoosier trailer with 6.90 by 9.0 inch tires) turns out to be what the supplier calls a five lug on a 5/12 inch bolt circle (although when I measure the diameter of the bolt circle, it sure looks like it is right at 5 inches) the wheels are split into two halves which bolt together using eight hardened bolts. In any case, I found a shop online which specializes in tires and wheels for antique tractors and farm implements etc.. The wheels cost about $105.00 each, not cheap.. but I bought two of them and they fit perfect.. problem solved, thanks again to those who responded to my post.. If anyone is in need of obsolete wheels for older trailers such as mine.. Google antique tractor, farm and trailer tires and wheels in Wauseon, OH.. Miller is the name of the shop, They have a complete catalog of very hard to find tires and wheels..
Thanks again - SeaHawk53

Just as FYI, those tube type rims aren't doing you any favors. The chances for a flat are very much higher with that type of wheel. I urge that you find a set of regular old tubeless 13 inch wheels and tires and put those on.
The stub axles will be something standard like 3/4 or 1 and new hubs are cheap. Safety first, authenticity only if you must.

Last edited:
Just as FYI, those tube type rims aren't doing you any favors. The chances for a flat are very much higher with that type of wheel. I urge that you find a set of regular old tubeless 13 inch wheels and tires and put those on.
The stub axles will be something standard like 3/4 or 1 and new hubs are cheap. Safety first, authenticity only if you must.
Great advice, 02batsea, thank you.. I put new tires (Carlisle) and tubes (Firestone) on the new rims I bought, and I installed new bearings (Timken) and races, so I should be alright for now.. But I realize tires with tubes inside do run slightly hotter temperature on the road.. And the smaller diameter (9 inch) wheel turns a lot more revolutions per mile, so the tires and bearings do see additional wear and tear.. I am assuming the reason such small wheels used to be commonly used was so the height of the "bunk" the boat rides on would sit that much lower during launching / loading but I would prefer to have the pontoons ride higher off the pavement.. I am thinking that instead of re-engineering this trailer I now have I would be much better off to buy a new trailer .. This one I have is just not a good design in the first place. I think selling it will not be a problem, because it is alright for someone who lives on a lake and just wants to pull his boat out of the water.. A tandem axle with "cradles" for the pontoon tubes to ride on is the way to go for me.. Much more stability and obviously safer for the boat.. This is my first time owning a pontoon boat, so I am definitely learning as I go..
Thanks again SeaHawk53

Back