Logo

Merc 50L Oil Capacity

R

Robert Gomez

"Hello folks,

I need to ch

"Hello folks,

I need to change the oil on my 5.0L (1996) engine and have a few basic questions:

1. What is the capacity of oil for this engine?
2. What weight of oil should I use?

I rarely go WOT with my boat, generally only for a minute (or less) at a time and I live in the Central Florida area. I mainly go fishing or take my kids skiing and tubing.

Thanks in adavance.

Robert"

"Should be a 5 quart motor. Th

"Should be a 5 quart motor. The manual may call for straight 30 weight, but you should be fine with a multi-viscosity 10-30."

"Thanks David.

I also ass

"Thanks David.

I also assume that I can use any type (Mobil, Castrol, etc.) of oil, correct?

What about the filter, will I be able to use an auto oil filter or is there a marine filter that I should use?

Robert"

"The Name Brand of the Oil Doe

"The Name Brand of the Oil Doesn't really Matter......

As for the Filter,....
I believe that you have the Remote Mounted 1,....
Just take the # off it,+ have it cross-referenced to Whatever the Parts House has In Stock.......
It's Got to Fit,...
But, No, there's Not Marine Specfic Oil Filters....."

"I would add that my experienc

"I would add that my experience has been that some oil brands are better than others. I would much prefer to use Castrol vs some private label Wolfs Head brand. Example from my car days. Cheap oil in a high milage Benz v8 has the lifters tapping after a couple thousand miles. Castrol installed at next oil change... no problems. Seen that "cheap" remedy a few times. Mobil, Penzoil, Castrol.... all good brands.

Automotive filters work. Find the cross reference."

"I agree with Bondo. If the AP

"I agree with Bondo. If the API rating is up (currently API-SM) and proper viscosity, you should be good. Have run cars 300,000 miles on generic brand oil with engine running like new without an overhaul. I do change oil regularly. Sorry, David, I disagree with your experience."

Back