Logo

Starting IO without stern drive on

waterboy

Very green. I want to do engi

Very green. I want to do engine work over the winter but I had to remove the stern drive to fit boat in heated garage. Can I start the motor without the stern drive attached as long as i don't put it in gear? I want to put a new starter on and test other issues.

Thanks for any help.

"As long as there is no belt d

"As long as there is no belt driven seawater pump you'll be OK for a start. You can not run the engine for any length of time as you have no method of cooling the engine, but a quick start-up will not do any harm."

"More information - bought the

"More information - bought the boat this fall - it is a 1977 MerCruiser 898, 305 V8, with an after market alpha drive. Now that i think about it, when I drained the water there was some sand in it, so is it safe to say its- externally water cooled?

If there's any risk, I'll just wait for spring and warmer temps...open water, sun warmth...it's too early for cabin fever to set in isn't it?

thanks for the help!"

"As long as you feed Water to

"As long as you feed Water to the engine, either thru the port on the Gimbel Housing, or into the Line that feeds the motor,...
You can run it All Day long...

No Worry about being in Neutral,....
The Outdrive is Off,...
There's Nothing hooked up to Shift......"

"note that if you hook it to w

"note that if you hook it to water, you will have water coming out of the exhaust manifolds and onto the floor of that nice heated garage."

"Yes, that is understood!! I&

"Yes, that is understood!! I'll have to make a trough to the drain. My wife is going to be sooo happy! But, hey, she'll have a working boat in the spring."

Back