Logo

Trim problem

stoke

"OK, got my new used boat from

"OK, got my new used boat from in the yard and wanted to fog the engine for the winter…D260’s. The previous owner had run antifreeze through already but I doubt he fogged it. So, I figure I could drop the outdrives and the pull the coil wire, open the throttle and crank it while I spray the fog. Well…the starboard drive will not go down. The pump seems to work because it will raise the drive but when I jump the wire to lower it the pump just runs and nothing happens. I know I can still remove the drives by removing the cylinders from the drive, letting it down and pop them off but what might be the cause of the cylinders not retracting? Could it be the pump? It does have oil…I checked."

"chances are its your rams. do

"chances are its your rams. down curcuit is low pressure, and when seals/scrapers get corroded they bind. have someone stand on the drive and see if it goes down. if so, rebuild kits, or replacement end caps are in order."

try loosening the down line at

try loosening the down line at the cylinder. see if You get any flow. don't loosen the up line.

"When you look into the reserv

"When you look into the reservoir is the fluid milkey or is it clean? either way It is possible the screen in the reservoir is clogged. but if it is milkey you have a leak and water is seeping in. If you unscrew the line from the reservoir the foot will drop, but have a bucket ready to catch the fliud. Then replace te fluid with fresh oil.

it is an easy fix, but very messy if you are not carefull."

When I checked it yesterday it

When I checked it yesterday it was clear. I bought the online manual and it says to disconnect the rams from the outdrive and run the pump and see either of the two rams move...only one may need to be fixed.

"It’s OK for a start but it’s

"It’s OK for a start but it’s quite limited. As a tech doc, it’s very general. There is no part # cross reference and the parts list is a joke."

I disconnected the rams from t

I disconnected the rams from the strendrives and the port drive dropped a;; the way but the starboard did not. It seems like something is stopping it from going all the way down. I could push the drive down farther but when I let go it would bounce right back up. Would that mean a frozen U joint?

"Robert: Try the simple things

"Robert: Try the simple things first. Have you tried the trim/tilt switch at the helm? If it works, then you are jumping it incorrectly? What about trailering snap on ram shaft guards. Left them on once and they slipped to the bottom side of the ram where I could not see them. Boy did I feel like a fool. Just a suggestion. Guy"

This is my first Merc boat and

This is my first Merc boat and my first dual engine also. My last boat was OMC and over 10yrs. ago. The previous owner had installed through hull exhaust. Do you think that the drive may be resting on a cracked exhaust bellows? There are no trailering guards on the rams and the jumping is quite simple…hot to grn down…hot to bl up. Going to go look at in some more this morning.

I think it was the bellows tha

I think it was the bellows that was holding up the OD. Probably from sitting in one position for a long time. It was fully down when I went there this morning. But the rams defiantly need redoing.

Back