Logo

Hour gauge

carlnap

Contributing Member
I bought my boat in August wit

I bought my boat in August with 200 hrs and i have no clue home many hours i put on the engine. Is it a big job to put an hour gauge in??? It a 220 mercruiser 03 bravo 3.

"If you purchase a smart craft

"If you purchase a smart craft moniter gauge. It will read the hours off the computer . it also displays oil presure, temp, rmp, and so on . they run for about 500$ and are easy to install. the navman gps/fishfinder has this built in. I had it on my last boat."

"simple hour meter is cheap, s

"simple hour meter is cheap, simple to install. just needs ignition switched hot, and ground."

"I'm not sure why you real

"I'm not sure why you really need a run-hours meter. Preventive mainteance can be based on a before/mid/after season type schedule. Or if you use the boat year round, you can break it down to annual or quarterly type stuff. As far as being a metric for condition of the boat, like to buy or sell the boat, run-hours (with the exception of larger diesel engines) is little more than a trivial data point."

"Thanks guys for all your help

"Thanks guys for all your help. This guage is at the bottom of my christmas list, but i was definitly interested in installing one and you guys helped me out, Thanks Carl."

"I have to disagree with Troy.

"I have to disagree with Troy. If you had a submarine, maybe you wouldn't need one! Why do you think companies like Mercruiser base their service reccomendations by hours used? I sometimes use my boat 50 hours in a month, sometimes it sits for a month. Without an hour meter, how could you possibly formulate your use? I record each service by date an hours and keep it in a spreadsheet. When a buyer sees this kind of information, it makes him more likely to buy. It's what sold my last one!"

Back