Logo

New to boating

sing23

"o.k. I have this nice new boa

"o.k. I have this nice new boat and others are telling me to go ahead and put into the salt water and learn. The boat is a 175 glassport and it is in great condition never been in salt water, new mercruiser with only 20 hours on it. I read some stuff on navigation and I am taking the coast guard course. But, I am thinking about putting it on the Greenwood Lake being this is my first and I really can not afford engine problems at this time. Some tell me it does not make a diffrence. I just think the fresh water will give this engine less problems am I right. Or should I just put it out in the salt water?"

Is salt water as good for your

Is salt water as good for your engine as fresh water? NO. But you can do things to help extend the life of the engine and drive units if used in salt. Flush the engine out with fresh water using the flush muffs after each use. Rinse the outdrive off and rinse the entire boat off after each use when you get it home.

I would assume a closed cooling system is a better solution if an engine is going to be used in salt a lot.

I know you will get more educated advise on this topic from those who boat in salt all the time.

"In salt water, even with flus

"In salt water, even with flushing after each use, you can count on replacing the exhaust risers (elbows) about every four or five years. And, that's even with a closed loop cooling (the elbows are still cooled by raw water).
I wouldn't attempt to keep a boat in salt water for an extended period without closed loop cooling.... unless you're willing to include a new engine in that 4 to 5 year servicing.
There are after market stainless steel elbows, but they are plenty spendy."

And good for you for taking a

And good for you for taking a Safe Boating course! You wouldn't believe how ignorant most boaters are of the Rules out there.

Jeff (USCG Auxiliarist)

Back