Logo

Question for Andrew

rayb

"Hi Andrew,
I note in another

"Hi Andrew,
I note in another post that you were able to provide a build date for a 318 engine and I wondered if you would do the same for me.

I have a LM 318BWL10 Serial No E 229739.

Would you be able to identify what year that motor is please. I suspect it is 1975."

"Raymond,

That would appear

"Raymond,

That would appear to be 1974 model year engine.

I show "model year" 1974 from E210563 to E250073.

As you probably know the model year isn't always the same as the year built... but the year built would be 1973 or 1974."

"Thanks Andrew. They must have

"Thanks Andrew. They must have built them tough then. My LM318 has 1480 hours, oil prssure ( at 170F) about 55lbs and idle at 30lbs, Compression about 145 -150 over the 8 cyls, has never been out of the boat. Last year I had the heads reconditioned ( one leaking valve seat ) and the cylinder walls still have about 80% diamond pattern etching. Do you consider this to be exceptional performance? or just normal ?

By the way, there is no blow by, oil remains clean, I just change the oil and filter evry 3 months. ( we have year around boating in Sydney, none of that winterising stuff to worry about)

Is that lack of blow by normal for these motors ?

Thanks again for the year model info.

Regards, Ray."

"Ray,

You're welcome.

"Ray,

You're welcome.

I don't know the answer to those questions, maybe someone else will jump in and help."

"Hi Andrew,
Here is yet anoth

"Hi Andrew,
Here is yet another request to date an engine, if you please. Serial #s 119877 and 119873, no "E" is listed.
In a marine survey, they are listed are model 318B, but previous owner lists as LM318. Difference? Boat is a 1968 Trojan 31' Express. Mike"

"Mike,

The model number sho

"Mike,

The model number should be shown on the nameplate. Those engines would be "M318B" or "LM318". Not just "318B".

Are the nameplates on the engines?"

"Andrew,
Will have to get bac

"Andrew,
Will have to get back to you on that. Boat is 2 hr drive away. Will be at boat Jan. 6/7."

Back