Logo

Marineryamaha 4 hp outboard

M

mutly

I purchased an old mariner/yam

I purchased an old mariner/yamaha 4 hp that needed a waterpump. I installed it and it lasted a few weeks then it stopped pumping water. I took it to a dealer and the fellow said that this model was junk and had problems but he replaced the waterpump with a complete kit and that lasted a few months. It stopped pumping water again and I took it to a different dealer and he also said the motor had problems from the beginning but is replaceing the waterpump again. This is the third pump in 20 hrs use. What could be wrong? Is this model a problem model?

"Me again,
I believe the se

"Me again,
I believe the serial # is 0a867343if that helps anyone help me.
thanks in advance,
Mutly"

"Just-in,
Yes, and No. The pa

"Just-in,
Yes, and No. The passageways were cleaned out with compressed air and it worked great but only for 10 or 15 hrs use, that is all the waterpumps would seem to last with this motor. Oh, There is no t-stat. Is there a way to check service bulletins on old motors?
thanks
Thanks for your reply."

"No, not exactly, I believe it

"No, not exactly, I believe it to be a 1990 thru 1992. The serial # is posted if someone knows how to figure the year from that.
thanks again, Jack"

"Thanks for your help. I guess

"Thanks for your help. I guess I will try yet another pump and if it fails, well, it fails. Any thoughts on why a waterpump would fail so often?
thanks again,"

Back