Logo

1995 Force by Mercury 120 hp

VitaliyK97

Hey everyone, I’ve got a problem. I’ve bought 1995 Bayliner Capri 1704 SF with 120 hp motor. I’ve changed spark plugs, rectifier, fuel filter, cleaned carburetor and got new seals for it, new battery. The problem that I got is it has problems starting and running in idle. It runs great at full speed. Gets up to 42 mph, and runs smooth, but when I try to start it cold or after it didn’t run for a while, I have to give it some throttle with handle bar in neutral or with the carb lever, any clues or ideas what I should do to fix this ?

Rebuild the carb(s).

Jeff

Carbs were rebuild, I don’t understand why it runs well on high rpms, runs like a champ at 40+ mph, but not in idle. Yesterday what I was able to get was start it in neutral with more throttle, then move it back to idle neutral and it kept the rpms worked somewhat good.

I will defer to fastjeff as I am no mechanic; a shot in the dark, your issue of no idle is the way that my problem started out and it turned out to be weak and then eventually no spark. see http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...68-Yet-Another-Merc-40-2-Stroke-With-No-Spark. Maybe you can check your electricals with a VOM meter. At first, I thought it was bad 4 year old gas and gummed up carbs - see http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...other-Merc-40-2-Stroke-4-Cylinder-won-t-idle; it was only the eventual loss of spark that lead to the problem solution - bad stator. After replacing the stator, engine runs great - nothing done to carbs. Now I am dangerous - mostly seems to be either fuel delivery or electric delivery.

Last edited:
..."At first, I thought it was bad 4 year old gas.."

Humm...

Jeff
Yep, 4 year old gas with annual treatment of regular Stabil; BUT, siphoned out the tanks and replaced with fresh non-ethanol gas after the Merc resisted starting and idling and then no spark; used that same old siphoned out gas in my mower and truck with no issues; once good spark arrived at the plugs, back to normal.

Back