Logo

1980's merc 45hp reverse lock help

Hello,

First post here. I recently got a classic fifty 45hp outboard sn #0A986630. I am having trouble with the reverse lock. I have the cam in the lower unit, pushrod, adjust bolt, hooks etc. So looks like I have all the parts. It will release when in fwd, but in reverse, it wont stay locked if I pull on it. It takes a slight pull, but it will release and pull up. I am thinking somebody had messed with the springs as they don't look right. Wondering if anybody has any pics of what the setup is supposed to look like. When in rev, should it release if pulling up? I did look up the parts diagram, but cant see how it is supposed to look when assembled.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Have you the thick plastic washer under the cam? Bottom pic.
It should stay locked in both neutral and reverse.It sounds like the hooks are not getting over the pin far enough.
So either the cam is off a little and the rod is not riding up far enough or the rod is not adjusted enough.
There should be adjusting nut and threads on the rod,loosen the nut and lengthen the rod.These pics are of a '69 Merc800 but the operation is the same
Pay no attention to the rust,long gone,mind you so is the reverse lock.

Attachments

• mums camera 006.jpg
    mums camera 006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 35
  • mums camera 010.jpg
    mums camera 010.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PA230004.jpg
    PA230004.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks, but mine looks a little different and there is a spring or 2 involved also. The one spring is at the nut and the other is hooked to a mkeshift piece of wire. It might be that they tried to use a spring to hold the fingers down. I'm not sure if the cam is indexed properly, but the fingers do move with fwd rev in the right direction.

Found out where the spring goes. It hooks to a cotter pin you put thru a small hole below the locking teeth. Now just need to confirm if in revers and pulling up on the motor with a little effort, should the reverse lock release? If not, is there a way to figure out if the cam position is right without dropping the lower unit? Maybe pull the pushrod out and try to look down the hole?

Put control in fwd,you should be able to tilt motor,into neutral,you should not be able to tilt motor.With helper turning prop,put into reverse,you shouldn't be able to tilt motor at all.If you can tilt,then your cam is not in the right place

Put control in fwd,you should be able to tilt motor,into neutral,you should not be able to tilt motor.With helper turning prop,put into reverse,you shouldn't be able to tilt motor at all.If you can tilt,then your cam is not in the right place

Motor lifts up when put in reverse but forks are engaging. Ho do i know if cam is in right position? Also, i dont have helper turning prop when going into reverse, why is that needed?

Thanks

It's easier and less wear on your controls and gears.
If the forks are engaging but not holding,either your locking rod is not long enough or the cam is not in the correct position.
You will need to drop your lower unit,shift the unit into neutral,the high point of the cam should be at 12o'clock

Attachments

• PA230005.jpg
    PA230005.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 26
It's easier and less wear on your controls and gears.
If the forks are engaging but not holding,either your locking rod is not long enough or the cam is not in the correct position.
You will need to drop your lower unit,shift the unit into neutral,the high point of the cam should be at 12o'clock

Thanks for the info. So 12 o'clock with the prop end at 6 o'clock?

Great, thank you. Will give it a try. Never dropped the lower unit myself, just watched it done. Might try replacing the water pump as well when i have it down.

Back