Logo

Restored 75hp elgin

john

Contributing Member
" I just spend a fair amount o

" I just spend a fair amount of time reviving a 7.5hp elgin outboard (green) not sure of year, any ideas? It is a 2 cyl. model. I have it running and seems to run a like a top! I would like to sell it. Any ideas on what I should ask?
I live on Cape Cod, MA.
thanks! "

"John,

Most of the old outb

"John,

Most of the old outboards are not "worth" a lot of money. Of course there are people that collect old ouboards, but like any collectible there are certain motors that are significantly more valuable than others. Generally the ones that were most expensive when built are most valuable to collectors.... racing motors, and the high quality models. The motors that were mass produced for the public at an affordable cost are generally the least desirable to collectors.

Your motor may be a good motor to use... but of course as a functional engine it would be worth considerably less that a new engine of comparible horsepower.

There is a book by Peter Hunn, called The Old Outboard Book. It has historical and technical information on the early outboards and a price guide for the motors based on condition.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

" If it is correctly painted w

" If it is correctly painted with the right color and well done, if the decals are new since the restoration and correct for the motor as original, and it can be demonstrated to run well, It might bring $80 - $100 from a collector. There are not too many Elgin collectors. Maybe a fisherman would give more for a reliable 7 Hp. Art "

Back