Logo

Yesteryear '92 Merc 40 Idle Problem Solved in 1994

RickM46

Regular Contributor
Three years after I bought my '92 Merc 40 4cyl 2stroke, it refused to idle but ran OK at cruise speed.

Local dealer mechanic diagnosed the problem as sticky needle valves in the carb bowls. He took off both carbs, cleaned them, re-installed. Result: boogered every fitting on the carbs (pliers + butter knife); stuck one of the floats; no tie wraps on fuel lines; stripped 2 of the 4 starter motor bolts; engine still did not idle. Solution: advance the timing 10 degrees and set the idle speed up to 1700 rpms.

I finally figured out the problem myself: both relief exhaust ports (those little holes just below the power head) were clogged with carbon. Solution: bought 2 carb rebuild kits to undo what the mechanic did; fixed stuck float; added fuel line tie wraps; 2 longer bolts for the starter; reset the timing back to spec; reset the idle back to spec; dropped the lower unit and scraped out a huge volume of carbon stalagtites (2 cups of carbon chunks); cleaned similar carbon buildup in the exhaust manifold. After that, re-adjusted idle mixture screws under load.

My bad anyway - since the motor was on a pontoon, I cruised at 2000 rpms; not enough to keep it clean; 3000 rpms and no issues.

On the good side, with the help of the shop manual, I learned how to remove, take apart, replace carb parts, and re-install the carbs; learned how to set the timing; learned how to adjust the idle screws in the carbs; learned how to drop and re-install the lower unit - behind every cloud.

Having the shop manual written by Brunswick Corp Mercury was priceless!

Back