Logo

15hp mercury bearing carrier stucked

zenonmb

Colleagues,

I have a leakaege in the lower unit , not in the propeller shaft but in the bearing carrier . It looks like the o ring is weared out.. Tried many time to unscrew it , knowing that is left hand thread and even applied heat . Not that mutch, but enough to get it warm.
So the question is, based on my unability to remove the bearing carrier, was wondeing if instead , just apply a good silicone arround the carrier. I know it is not the best work, but something that will work.
Any experience doing this?.
Cheers,

martin

What yr is your motor (serial #). Put up a pic of the thrust washer and the bearing carrier? Is it actually gear lube coming out? Have you done the sniff test?

Last edited:
What yr is your motor (serial #). Put up a pic of the thrust washer and the bearing carrier? Is it actually gear lube coming out? Have you done the sniff test?

2005 . Serial # 18096859 .

On the other picture you can see the propeller shaft is ok, no oil ( so I assume both oil seals are ok), but there is oil coming out of the bearing carrier.
BTW what is sniff test? Put pressure on the oil inlet to see it it can hold it? Answer is no . Do not have a pressure tester

Attachments

• IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 27
Because that is the exhaust of the motor. A motor that has not been warmed up or done a lot of trolling will have unburned fuel mix leaking from there. That is absolutely normal on a carbed 2 strk.

Back