Logo

How bad is this? Bent lower unit

Merkycury

This is a new to me Merc outboard. Its a 2003 50HP Bigfoot. I have not put it in the water yet, but I am trying to understand how the bent fin on the lower unit is going to affect operation. Obviously it is not a good thing, but the season here is just about over, so I cant take anything apart right now. I tried clamping the fin in the jaws of a 50lb bench vise, and I then pushed it very hard. It didn't move the metal. I was afraid I was going to break it off, or damage something else, so I stopped. I am considering options. I thought a 6x6 at about 8' long with a notch cut into it could let me slip the fin into it and maybe let me get enough leverage to bend it back, but not sure what would happen. Has anyone been here before and resolved this issue?

I believe the previous owner may have caused the bend when he went to the back of the boat while it was on the trailer, and it rocked backwards with his weight. Probably caused the motor to hit his driveway pretty hard, causing this. I see used housings, but seems like a big project to swap out the guts from this one to a new one. I know I ma have to go that route, but that's a wintertime project.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190822_093657.jpg
    thumbnail_20190822_093657.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_20190822_093723.jpg
    thumbnail_20190822_093723.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 22
If it really bugs you get a qualified welder to cut it off and put it back straight. If it can't be done, the other two options are always there.

Last edited:
If it really bugs you get a qualified welder to cut it off and put it back straight. If it can't be done, the other two options are always there.

Yeah, at that point might be easiest to have it replaced. It doesn't bother me, just that I have not yet had the boat in the water and wasn't sure if the boat was going to be constantly trying to take a hard left turn. Would have felt like I was in a NASCAR race...

Those can be cut and rewelded without damaging the internals. You might also be able to get a god welder to heat and rebend it.

Jeff

Back