PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mercury 1974 650 - 65hp outboard makes high pitch noise when key is on-battery smoking

Timhiber
08-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Hello,
I have a fiberglass tri-hull that used to have a 65 horse Johnson on it which seized up last year. but this may I found a guy in town selling a 65 horse Mercury which he said he had distributor issues with for $200 I purchased it and got it all hooked up drop in the water today had it started once with the earmuffs on and it was having this problem before but at least got it started and now when I turn the key on it makes this high pitch noise (pretty sure this is not the starter spinning in place without engaging it doesn't sound like an actual thing spinning it sounds like a high-pitch feedback on the radio) after attempting to crank it over several times when I was in the water I noticed that the positive battery terminal Port was smoking. when it was out of the water I was able to get the noise to stop for a time but then I had to do more work and disconnect the battery cables when I reconnect them and continue to make the noise whenever the key was in the on position. Any ideas? I could be wrong about the starter but it really doesn't sound like a part spinning freely and happens before I I attempt to crank the motor over.if it is the starter it must be spinning a million miles a second to reach this high pitch up. Help me obi wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!!!!

mechanicman
08-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Can you locate the sound ? Put your ear up to the engine with the hood off. What distributor issues did it have before you bought It? As for the smoking battery cable . Something is drawing a heafty load.