Logo

Need help setting the timing Mercury 50 hp 1989

sondreef

Hello I have a Mercury 50 hp 1989 that I need some help with setting the timing on. I watched this video on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wop30aYYqqE but I thought it was quite difficult understanding what to adjust and when. I am using a timing light. I also understand that you set the idle rpm and idle timing on the water when in gear and that you adjust max spark advance on land and the throttle stop to the butterflyes on the carburator are fully open. I need some help to understand what order I need to adjust things. Any help will be much appreciated.

Start with the carbs. Clean them up good. If you have access to a sonic cleaner that would be good for them.. what's the compression of the cylinders?

You can index the flywheel. Put number piston at TDC top dead center. Find the timing pointer and use white paint or liquid paper to mark one dot tdc or 0 degrees on the flywheel. Put number 2 piston at tdc and Mark on the flywheel 2 dots at the timing pointer . Do the same for 3 and 4. Marking 3 dots and 4 dots.
Hook up timing light to number one plug wire . You can do this with engine running or plugs out. Point timing light at timing pointer. One dot should show up under timing light when your timing light is on number 1 plug wire. Try to do this in the shade easier to see.
Do the same for 2 3 and 4. Each dot or dots should show up on timing pointer for each plug wire. This will tell you if the coils are firing at the proper time.

If for example... your on number 2 plug wire and you see 3 dots. Then the switch box is not doing it's job. Or someone wired it in correctly.

If you still having problems with it. Send me the serial/model number and I will get you the timing procedure when I go to work tomorrow .

Last edited:
Back