Logo

fng needs heip

oki2000

Greetings from south east NC. I just bought a 14' jon boat with a 2013 merc 20hp 4 stroke . It wasnt maintained very well. I cleaned it up replaced all the fluids and filters. It starts fine, a little rough at idle but smooths out at high idle. a couple of questions , I cant get it to shift at all. I can hit the button on the side and advance the throttle. I get back to neutral idle down and cannot shift into forward or reverse. question two, do i need that one way inline valve
on the fuel line. Its a carb model.

Thanks in advance

Follow the shift cables to the shifter drum. Off the drum there is a shaft that connects the shift rod to the shift drum through the shaft. At the end of the shaft is a spring loaded tab with a 10mm bolt. If you loosen that bolt it will ease up the shifter. Then spray lubricant on the shifter drum till it loosens up. Then tighten the 10mm bolt again to tighten up the spring loaded tab.

Not sure what you mean about one way valve on fuel line. . The fuel filter?

Follow the shift cables to the shifter drum. Off the drum there is a shaft that connects the shift rod to the shift drum through the shaft. At the end of the shaft is a spring loaded tab with a 10mm bolt. If you loosen that bolt it will ease up the shifter. Then spray lubricant on the shifter drum till it loosens up. Then tighten the 10mm bolt again to tighten up the spring loaded tab.

Not sure what you mean about one way valve on fuel line. . The fuel filter?

its called a FDV fuel demand valve.

No to the leaking. I put new fuel lines and didnt install it. I thought by not having it might be the reason i have rough idle. I did open the tank vent. It starts right up. I have
a tank of fresh gas with a healthy dose of sea foam. I let it high idle till its warmed up, back to regular idle and it stalls if i dont choke it. I was hoping to run it but the shifting issue stopped that.

thanks for the replys

If it won't idle. You need to remove the carb and clean the low speed jet. It's a very small orifice. Put it up to the light and make sure you can see light through it.

Thanks. got the shifting issue straightened out. I loosened the tab, still no good. I lubed the rod , clamped it with vise grips and tapped it with a mallet Success.
Now on to the idle.
Thanks again

Back