Logo

Gas issue

jackd

Contributing Member
I have a around 1999 mariner 50 hp 2 stroke on a 17 ft ranger. I’m having gas issues where the motor runs out of gas. I had filter replaced. All the lines and ends to the motor. The thing I notice is when stalls if prime the primer ball it doesn’t seem to work. I just got a mercury one and it worked then it didn’t. I take the hose off at the boat and put in another tank it works. The I’m thinking it’s something from there to the tank. May try a 6 gallon tank

See if the dip tube (that goes down into the tank) is reaching the bottom of the tank. Mine was not, leaving an inch plus of gas in the tank when it "ran dry". SOB cost me a motor.

Jeff

My gas tank is full. The tank is under the floor and is hard to see any issues. I have a spare tank for my 9.9motor. I use my big tank for both but switch tanks and works with 9.9 witch I use mostly

I have a tank under deck and the connect end is at the back side. I can prime the ball and doesn’t get hard and push gas through. If keep priming May work but eventually seems to run out of gas. When try to prime seems like the ball has a hole because doesn’t prime. If keep trying eventually works .

I was reading online. I see some say the primer bulb sometimes neeeds to be straight up or won’t prime. Anybody heard of that. My wife found online and said primer. I’m going to check out when get home from work

That may be kinda true up until they get fuel into them. Then they should work in all positions.

What timguy said and what you read; I use Merc Quicksilver primer bulbs - one on my main tank and one on the spare; to get fuel into the bulb and then into the line to the motor, you have to hold them pointing up with the direction of flow from the bottom to the top to the motor. once fuel is in the bulb, after that, I don't have to hold it straight up anymore; I can hear the check valve in my main tank making a distinct noise as it works when squeezing its primer bulb.

Over time and exposure to sun, the exterior of the QS bulbs will leave a black residue on your fingers; don't know the condition of the interior of the bulb. I have washed the exterior of the bulbs with silicone spray and that eliminates the black residue.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick, good information. Bulbs today are made synthetically, so operational properties vary depending on UV exposure, ethanol, etc.....The bulbs made of real natural rubber are history now, but I still have vintage and operating motors with mint squeeze bulbs dating back to the 1960's.

Last edited:
Back