View Full Version : how do you fill the live wells?

05-23-2019, 07:03 PM
I just bought a 1988 starcraft bass -v-180. This is just like a tracker boat. I took it out today and thought if I leave the plugs out of the back of the boat the live wells will fill. I pulled the plugs in the live wells and water would only go the the lip of where the plug goes in at the bottom of the tank. It has 3 tanks. I turned on the aerator and the front take was filling but the other 2 tanks I got nothing. any ideas? I checked and there is not any kind of punp inlet like the front tank than was filling

05-25-2019, 12:20 PM
you will have to dig into what you have and figure it out....making a diagram is always a good idea. They get plumbed in different ways depending upon how they were intended to be used....the simple scheme is to have a small pump that fills the tank and an overflow provides an overboard discharge. Some will have recirculating or aeration functions, too. Sometimes all tank controls will be run in parallel, some do each one independently....

05-25-2019, 12:44 PM
there is 1 pump only for the aerator for the front tank. there is a tank in front of the driver console and another in the left rear. no other holes in the tank to fill, only where the drain is at the bottom of the tank on these 2 tanks. I thought maybe it fills when the plug is not in but doesn't. can these be manual fill tanks?

05-26-2019, 04:47 PM
maybe they are not 'live wells'.....if there's no pump, nothing you put into them will stay alive for long....

05-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Not "live wells".... fill w/ ice put what you catch and want to keep in.... plugs are for draining only...

05-29-2019, 08:30 PM
capt bob is right- I had the exact same boat 2 boats ago---those are lockers---either dry storage or coolers---not well insulated either- but they do work to put ice in and whatever you need to keep cold---but remember- the ice wont last like it will in a real cooler--I used mine for flotation devices.

You might be able to turn them into live wells- you need an aerator- and a pump---plumbed up thru the bilge--to draw water in, and to drain water out--but it would require some ingenuity and effort. Good luck