Logo

1995 Mercury 200 Sound?

calvin3pl

Hi, I have a 1995 Mercury 200 XRi , serial # 0G145341. The engine has been rebuilt, has about 15 hours on it and I've been following the break-in process.

After the rebuild, the engine was very quite but would bog down... found the spring in throttle arm/spark advance leaver was missing. Once I installed the spring, the engine performed correctly. However, it now has a tap sounds. I've attached a youtube link
. If I need to send the video a different way, please let me know.

This is a youtube link with the top cowl on

Also, the trigger has play/move side to side? Should it?

The engine runs very smooth, cranks easy and you really can't hear the tap sound with the top cowl on.

I have a mechanical background but new to large outboards.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The oil line on the backside of the pump broke. Since it was in the backside, didn’t hear an alarm until it was too late. I’ve replaced the lines. Thank you very much for asking.

Chris, the attached youtube link shows the play i was talking about.
. That's probably the noise I'm hearing? I'll look at the repair manual I have and see if there's specs and the process to repair if needed.

Chris, the attached youtube link shows the play i was talking about.
. That's probably the noise I'm hearing? I'll look at the repair manual I have and see if there's specs and the process to repair if needed.

What you want to do is take your foot and give it a good shove, you are listening for a rattle in the midsection. It will come from the inside, If you hear a rattle there is a good chance your exhaust tuner has come loose. They will rattle while the engine is running.

Chris, followed direction given, no sound. I then checked flywheel torque and it was lower than specs. Tightened and engine sounds great! See video link
. You can actually hear the water from the weep while engine is running now... Also, newer Opti and Yama was at the dock, I was quieter than both LOL... Appreciate the help Chris and have a wonderful day.

Back