Logo

Water tube pickup seal installation, Merc 15hp 2 stroke S/N 0T533347

steveg_nh

Regular Contributor
Does anyone know the proper way to install the little black rubber seal, part number 33613, in the lower gear case on a 2002 Merc 15hp outboard? I'm getting my lower unit all back together after the debacle with rethreading the bearing carrier threads in the gear case, and I'm not sure I have this one part right...I'm pretty sure I don't actually. Does it get installed from the outside, up through the opening where the filter screen is under the cav plate, or from the inside of the gear case? Right now, I have it installed from the inside, and the tube sticks through it and out into the opening under the cav plate. The seal has a little round "nub" on it, and I'm not sure where that goes.

Part #20 in this pic is the seal I'm talking about. Thanks!

seal.JPG

It is easier to install it from below. The little nub locks it in place.
Take a look at a thread from 4/16/2013 which I answered.
Search this forum for "unknown item in water pump repair kit".....it will come up.
The beveled edge should be up top.....to mate with the short water tube.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks! The hole for the nub was filled with crap so it wasn’t obvious Just pulled it apart and already fixed it and put it back together. Thank you!

I did have two parts that didn’t seem to apply woto my motor from the seal kit. One is a smaller seal that looks like it would go on a shag. The diameter wouldn’t fit anything on my motor or anything I had or could see. Nor was it mentioned in the service manual. Same thing for a very small fiber washer. Like small small. No idea.

Do they include parts that may apply to one motor vs another or are seal kits 100% engine specific?

Last edited:
Regarding the "extra" parts, I have two. The small washer I mentioned in this pic, and the seal right next to it. For comparison purposes, the bearing carrier seals are below it so you can see the I.D. difference. Looking at parts lists, and following my service manual to a T, couldn't find any place this would go. Two pics, one showing the part flipped over. Any ideas?

Attachments

• extraparts1.jpg
    extraparts1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • extraparts2.jpg
    extraparts2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 29
The water pump base is supposed to have 2 (back-to-back) drive-shaft seals installed in it.
The seal to the right of the little washer sure looks like a drive-shaft seal...did you install
two seals or just one?

I got it figured out. The kit is multi model. The small washer is for a different year 15hp vent screw. So I didn’t need that. And the other seal is a line cutter seal on the smaller prop shaft of the same other year 15hp. So didn’t need either. I had both seals for the driveshaft. Gear case passed a pressure test with no problems. ����

Back