Logo

Inverted cables

Wetredneck

Hooked the battery cables inverted...
Tried to crank the engine and heard just a click (duh...)
Exchanged the inline fuse but there is something else wrong.
What else did I damage (other than my pride)?
What should I check (other than my brain)?
Thanks!

I thought I would tell you I am so sorry for you, brother. Fast Jeff and I can help fix it for you, all you need is a little money for parts. Red is POSITIVE.....that looks like this: + The other color is black....that goes to ground and is a NEGATIVE.....that looks like this: - ..... now you look like this ;(....:mad:. Some old cars and trucks DID have a positive ground, but you probably don't remember.

Last edited:
Yes, that will help, we need the motor number. Did you actually hook up the battery reversed and then turn on the key to start and heard a click? Or did you go right to cranking position when you heard the click? If you are lucky, it simply resisted the heavy draw at the terminals and lost polarity.......maybe at the engine ground. Was the fuse blown....what is the location of the fuse? Then when you tried it again with the correct polarity nothing at all happened? Or did you get a "click" from the solenoid near the starter?

Last edited:
Make sure you checked correct fuse as motor has 2 of them. The one up by carbs is for the trim ,the one above starter solenoid is the one you want to check...

Back