PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Optimax 135hp reserve oil alarm

west oz ian
01-26-2019, 09:38 PM
Gday I have a 2003optimax and the reserve oil alarm came on telling me that I have 5 percent oil left so after youtubeing found everything led to replace bottle assy so I replaced it but it is still throwing the alarm any ideas cheers

Docksidemarineservices
01-27-2019, 09:47 AM
If your gauge is telling you that you have 5% left, that means you have the sender in the remote tank.

The remote tank with the sender option installed reports back a percentage through a potentiometer.

The sender in the engine mounted tank only reads on/off(Full/Low)

west oz ian
01-27-2019, 11:46 PM
Cheers for that info so probably replaced the wrong tank and sensor I will check the remote tank sensor

timguy
01-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Right, good idea is to give that tank a thorough cleaning. The last one I did was full of crud. The recommended oil was replaced with the Amsoil alternative 100 percent synthetic which is engineered for that type of injection system. It maintains a very consistent viscosity when temperatures vary. Granted you may not be in Northern Minnesota, but both I and my customers are.

Docksidemarineservices
01-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Only use the Quick Silver DFI oil in your Mercuey Optimax engine!

When amsoil builds a dfi outboard, you can use their oil.

timguy
01-28-2019, 09:55 PM
They engineered a special oil for this type of injection. My customer is very pleased at its performance as well as emissions. It is exactly the same motor as here in the thread. The CVT transmission fluid, for instance, is a huge improvement over the replacement fluids offered at the transmission shops, lube shops, and even dealers. The engineers are working constantly at Amsoil to improve on manufacturers recommended standards. I have their CVT fluid in my wife's 2007 Dodge Caliber. The transmission uses a kevlar/rubber composition drive belt that produces fine wear particles when adjusting ratio. These particles are able to pass through, in limited numbers, the filtration screen. What happens next will also be the result of reduced pressure because of restricted flow presented by the partially plugged filter, especially when cold. When these transmissions fail, they can only be replaced by a factory rebuilt unit. Shops of today can't get the needed parts to produce a perfect overhaul. Chrysler is in control of the parts needed and therefore you have to buy the trany from them at 3500 bucks. Almost half of all CVT vehicles in the local junkyard are there because of this problem. This is not as big a problem down south where the ambient temperatures are more reasonable for "warm up period".....when many people just take off and go. I will keep track of my customers Opti. If it fails because of Amsoil, they will hear about it from me, and have to go good on the products liability warranty. However, in over 40 years of Amsoil use, I have never had a problem of any kind, including mixing 16:1 vintage Johnson's at 64:1 and high performance chain saws like my Stihl 880 at 64:1. That monster has been my main firewood saw and used for dicing red oak for 15 years. It has diced more than 300 cords using a full chisel .404 with a slower speed sprocket. That means even more torque applied to the chain. I will never promote something I haven't personally tested and I have run saws in competition as well as 2 summer fishing camps in remote NW Ontario Canada since 1981. Customers will not tolerate excessive smoke on my 2 strokes, which we need to use for portaging as well as tear down between trips. Everything goes back up the hill and into the shed. Try that now with a 30 hp 4 stroke when your working alone. When I can't move those 30 Johnson's back up, I'll quit.....but my new hip goes in March 11. I'm hopeful it goes well, I'm not ready to sell out.

Docksidemarineservices
01-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Only use the Quick Silver DFI oil in your Mercuey Optimax engine!

When amsoil builds a dfi outboard, you can use their oil.

You want to use amsoil, use it in your engine.

timguy
01-29-2019, 12:39 AM
I should clarify that the Amsoil product required to exceed the parameters of the Mercury Quicksilver DFI is one of 5 2 stroke oil products called: "HPM HP 2 Stroke Injector Oil" which is Warranty secure as well as carrying a warranty G1363, which will replace damaged parts if a problem should occur. This oil surpasses TC-W3 and recommended to be used to replace even OMC's XD100 on E Tecs running on "factory lean setting". This is a brutal test while replacing an oil costing twice as much. It is 100 percent synthetic and has been around for many many years. One key element of this oil is that Amsoil stands behind all their products and nothing is put on the public market until it has been thoroughly tested. I will recommend that he uses what he wants based on fact and not opinion. I don't appreciate your attitude. Mercury is simply got a good product at an inflated price. Fact is that Amsoil can be used with full honor of the manufacturer's warranty by not only Mercury, but OMC E Tecs running "factory lean setting". Mercury oil would likely fail if pushed to that capacity. I haven't "been there, done that" but to the contrary......"am here and doing it". I would never, ever, recommend an inferior product to my customers, but it is surely their choice. Manufacturer's recommendations have destroyed millions of outboards. How about OMC's 100:1's for starters?

ALL my customers get a free quart of applicable Amsoil product for their equipment. They can give it away or use it. Almost everyone has been a happy return customer, not only praising the repair, but love the oil. I buy the cases wholesale, dont get them to promote Amsoil, and have no interest in the company. It is simply the best oil on the market. ALL my repairs carry a 1 year warranty. I have had one return in 45 years. That includes hundreds of overhauls and likely more than 3000 repairs, most all documented and in my diary. I anticipate a little more respect, Chris....as I respect you.

Docksidemarineservices
01-29-2019, 09:37 AM
I should clarify that the Amsoil product required to exceed the parameters of the Mercury Quicksilver DFI is one of 5 2 stroke oil products called: "HPM HP 2 Stroke Injector Oil" which is Warranty secure as well as carrying a warranty G1363, which will replace damaged parts if a problem should occur. This oil surpasses TC-W3 and recommended to be used to replace even OMC's XD100 on E Tecs running on "factory lean setting". This is a brutal test while replacing an oil costing twice as much. It is 100 percent synthetic and has been around for many many years. One key element of this oil is that Amsoil stands behind all their products and nothing is put on the public market until it has been thoroughly tested. I will recommend that he uses what he wants based on fact and not opinion. I don't appreciate your attitude. Mercury is simply got a good product at an inflated price. Fact is that Amsoil can be used with full honor of the manufacturer's warranty by not only Mercury, but OMC E Tecs running "factory lean setting". Mercury oil would likely fail if pushed to that capacity. I haven't "been there, done that" but to the contrary......"am here and doing it". I would never, ever, recommend an inferior product to my customers, but it is surely their choice. Manufacturer's recommendations have destroyed millions of outboards. How about OMC's 100:1's for starters?

ALL my customers get a free quart of applicable Amsoil product for their equipment. They can give it away or use it. Almost everyone has been a happy return customer, not only praising the repair, but love the oil. I buy the cases wholesale, dont get them to promote Amsoil, and have no interest in the company. It is simply the best oil on the market. ALL my repairs carry a 1 year warranty. I have had one return in 45 years. That includes hundreds of overhauls and likely more than 3000 repairs, most all documented and in my diary. I anticipate a little more respect, Chris....as I respect you.
This has nothing to do with respect. Suggesting that anyone do anything different to their engine other than manufactures recommendations, now makes "YOU" the manufacturer and responsible for the out come. Even on an internet forum.

Most damaged cylinder Opti's I have worked on were due to use of improper oil. I have a 2001 225 Opti. Run it all winter sometimes, abuse it, WOT or close to it always...Tow boats with it, Nothing but OEM parts and Oil...Not a scuff in any cylinder.

Neighbors Opti, does not use QS DFI oil, Does not listen either, on his second power head........

timguy
01-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Chris, how many recalls have you seen? Manufacturers and engineers often make huge mistakes, costing lives. How about the recent recall on Ford trucks, the number 1 truck for decades here in the USA. How in the h##! can a seat belt catch on fire? OMC and their great idea to add oil to a separate chamber in the fuel tank, then it is metered into the fuel as needed....how many motors were destroyed with this system. VRO's......originally engineered with improper mixing ratios.....took them almost 3 years to catch on. I could go on and on. Lubricant manufacturers like Amsoil, founded over 45 years ago by a close family friend who was a chemical engineer as well as Air Force pilot, are at the mercy of the product performance. If anything goes wrong, the blame is immediately laid on the lubricant. By running Amsoil 100:1 in my early VRO's, I experienced no failures because of that extra cushion of lubrication. How about today? The testing and continuous engineering adjustments are an ongoing example of Amsoil always moving to improve their products. Let me give you an example. In 2006 my wife, brother, a brilliant machinist and myself, bought a machine shop and among other things got into building dirt track engines. Focusing on building the best engines, (without cheating) that we often hauled to a dyno in Wright MN. Owned and operated by Lance Line, brother of NHRA's Jason Line, who in 2006 set a record in Richmond. In the dyno runs we noticed by reducing oil viscosities, we were able to add up to 2 and even 3 percent horsepower and torque. Popular oils were Red Line and Gibbs, that offered racing oils in the 10w30 and even 5w20. At this time Amsoil offered an excellent racing oil, but it was in only a 20w50. We started blending the Amsoil racing 20w50 with the 10w30 standard synthetic and gained horsepower and torque. We had some racers that were sponsored by Amsoil so we had oil to play with. I presented our dyno results to the Amsoil racing department and they focused to engineer a low viscosity racing oil as they knew that racers were catching on to the viscosity edge and running the lighter Gibbs and Red Line oils instead of Amsoil. Our base engine for testing was often the Super Stock .040 over Chev 350 with angle milled camelback heads and 2.02 intakes. No porting can be done, stock GM 4 barrel intake but limited to a Holley 2 barrel carb. While running 14:1 compression and powdered connecting rods, we were able to break the 400 hp threshold but only using light viscosity oils. We were also building late models producing around 630 hp, using the same basic GM block and rotating assemblies but bigger cams and liberal aspiration components. Moderate horsepower and torque gains with lighter oils were the edge we needed to win races and more drivers were coming to us for their engines. Very soon Amsoil formulated a 10w30 and even 5w20 racing. We had to protect our engines at these lite velocities and Amsoil engineered the oil that the racers wanted. Zinc was very helpful in raising the protection level. The point is, Chris, that Amsoil is a very innovative and progressive company, taking and using imput from a small machine shop like ours to help create a better racing oil. Our Mercury outboards will endure decades of operation with Amsoil products.....but I would trust no others, their claims are likely ill-founded and will not back up the product if it is found at fault. I just got off the phone with a tech there at Amsoil, Ryan, and he assured me that the HD 2 stroke product "exceeds" TC-W3 and is recommended to be used in the Merc Opti and OMC E Tecs.
Thanks, Chris for reading this.....all 100% true story.

kghost
01-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Another Ricardo................................Yeee haaaaw!!!

OMG..................Another Amsioler..................
They should call it ams soil

timguy
01-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Hi, Jack, nobody else in your class, however. Mr. Excitement himself. Can't believe you bothered to read what I had to say.....but thanks anyway. Pennzoil sued Al Amatuzio because Amsoil was originally spelled Amzoil. Al was forced to change the spelling.,100 percent truth.
No way, I got no talent compared to Ricardo, not even close.