Logo

8V71 TI marine overheating

bigfish

"I have a pair of 8V71 marine

"I have a pair of 8V71 marine engines and have recently experienced an overheating problem. As a solution, we have recently replaced the fresh and saltwater pumps, cleaned the after coolers and heat exchangers, cleaned the sea water strainer, replaced the thermostats, and tested for exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

The temperature runs around 190 @ 1000 RPM and rapidly increases to 210 above 1500 RMP. Any ideas... please email me at [email protected]
Thanks"

" Bigfish,
When you changed

" Bigfish,
When you changed thermostats did you renew the thermostat seals? Also, change the expansion tank cap. I have dealt with this before.

George ( 20 yrs.D.D. experiance ) "

" Bigfish, I have the same pro

" Bigfish, I have the same problem with a pair of Mitsubishi (Chysler) turbo diesels in my 38' Bayliner. Mine run 180 at 1500 and over 2000 increses rapidly to 210 until I back off. I can't seem to find the problem. Need advise. Randy "

" First and foremost check you

" First and foremost check your raw water system from the thru hull to filters, strainers etc. This late in the season marine growth,barnacles, mussels, plastic bags, etc tend to clog inlets and can severely restrict H2O flow. A 20% decrease in water flow can cause a 50% increase in temp rise!! Ouch. also check raw water impellers. Good luck and make sure to share the fix with the rest of us, Kim PS: if none of this works, a clogged heat exchanger may be an issue, but is less likely. "

" I would have to say,you more

" I would have to say,you more than likely have a cracked head,sorry. "

" Dont want to start an argume

" Dont want to start an argument, but a cracked head is a rather drastic thought at this point. Not to say it cant be one, but lets check cooling system out real well first. Kim. "

"I have a pair of 8V92 Detroit

"I have a pair of 8V92 Detroits on a 52 Hatteras (1986) Engines were just both overhauled with factory rebuilt turbos (dry turbo's). Book says temp should run about 790 degrees. All are ok but one running as high as 1200 degrees before I shut it down. Tested all turbo's with gauges and heat lazer gun. All are cosistant with the one turbo running 1200 degrees. Back pressure of exhaust is OK and no blockage. What else could possibly cause this overheat???

Thanks,

Mike"

"MAY BE INJECTOR PROBLEM ON TH

"MAY BE INJECTOR PROBLEM ON THAT ENGINE, CHOULD BE RACK OR INJ SETING OFF OR OVER FUELING INJS"

Back