Logo

1987 Mariner 30ELO issue

Stlth15

Hi all,

i have a mariner 30HP ELO L 689 420504 2 stroke.

it has been sitting out in the elements for over a year and it was time to get it started.

- I have cleaned the (1) carby, main and pilot jet
- replaced the fuel filter
- cleaned out the fuel tank
- installed new fuel line and fuel primer
- installed new spark plugs
- checked fuel pump diaphragms and appears to be good

Now my issue is when at idle it seems to only be running on 2 cylinders intermittently at idle. Top cylinder seems to be the one playing up. When I take the boat out, at WOT it won’t hit full power for a few minutes before it starts surge and then hit full power and plane. Going back to idle, I have to go through the same process again. WOT takes a few minutes. Then when bringing the boat in, at really low revs will stall and a bugger to start.

last night I pulled the Carby out and checked the reed valves thinking one of them may not be sealing. They (Flower) reeds appears to all be sealing with no light coming through and flex back into position with no stickiness.

When i I pull the ignition coil ht lead from the top spark plug(top cylinder) idle runs smooth with no toughness, knocking. When I put it back in and remove the bottom HT lead, engine stalls. When I swap the leads on the spark plugs and perform the same test, I get the same result as before, so don’t think it’s a lead or coil issue.

Im at a loss for what else it could be. I have bought a compression tester to check compression on both so will hopefully give me idea about the rings and piston soon.

any suggestions would welcome :)

thanks
jason

Sounds like water is getting in that top cylinder. Could be a leaky head gasket or a cracked block.

Jeff
Interesting you say that jeff

i did compression test on both cylinders registering exactly 75psi for both. Putting brand new plugs in, the top plug is still almost clean yet the bottom plug is definately normal use

I noticed droplets on the plug thinking is that water and not fuel?!?!

Back