Logo

Mercury 7.5/9.8hp lower unit repair

Dan0509

Hi guys. I am writing in hope that someone could give me advice on how to remove prop shaft from mercury 9.8hp gear box. I was replacing water pump yesterday and when i took pump housing out,i didnt like how drive shaft bearing looks,it has some rust on it.
I went ahead and ordered seal kit for gear box and need to take it apart to replace those and also bearings.
I took prop off,then undone big nut with left hand thread that holds prop shaft hub. Now i am not sure how is that hub coming out? Is there a tool that i need to pull it out? Maybe someone has a picture of the tool or another construction that would get the hub out? I dont want to brake anything .
Thank you.

That bearing / seal housing should now slide out.------One way is to put the propshaft in a vice.-------Now bump the housing with a rubber mallet.-----If it is a corroded saltwater mess then the bets are off.

Use the prop as a puller. Stick plywood pieces between it and the housing and tighten the prop nut. Use lots of flat washers to prevent bottoming out the nut.

Jeff

Back