Logo

150 Mercury Verado Intermittent Power Issue When Attempting To Go On Plane

Imasking

I have a 2012 150 Mercury Verrado. It typically runs great. But just recently I started to have an intermittent issue. I can be out running the boat and all seems fine. Then sometime during the day I will start it, it idles fine, put it in gear and advance the throttle, no power. It seems to be running smooth and the boat is moving forward, but the RPMs stay low and wont go on plane, even when the throttle is full advanced. There are no alarms. I have good, strong water flow from the cooling system. I can stop, shut it off, sit for a couple of minutes, restart, and it then runs normally with full power. It runs down the lake just fine to full RPM. There is no indication of engine miss or loss of power once on plane. Can run the rest of the day with no problem. Then the issue might occur again.

I have taken it to a Mercury dealer who have not been able to identify the problem. They replaced the spark plugs and a float switch but those repairs did not eliminate the issue. They attached some diagnostic equipment and ran it on the lake but did not get any indication of a problem. It has been suggested I replace the pencil coils or consider replacing or eliminating an anti-siphon valve on my Lund boat.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem and found a correction action? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Don't throw parts at it. Use the boat until the issue becomes more prevalent.

Unless the potting on your coils is white, there is no reason to change them unless you are losing ignition to that cylinder.

Remove the anti-siphon valve.

Chris - Thank you for your response.
Questions: should I remove the anti-siphon valve altogether, or replace with a new valve? How important is it that I have that valve in my system? My boat is a 2012 Lund Tyee.

I am recently having this exact same intermittent issue with my Mercury 115 Opti Max. Did you resolve this issue and, if so, how? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ran across this post after
I have a 2012 150 Mercury Verrado. It typically runs great. But just recently I started to have an intermittent issue. I can be out running the boat and all seems fine. Then sometime during the day I will start it, it idles fine, put it in gear and advance the throttle, no power. It seems to be running smooth and the boat is moving forward, but the RPMs stay low and wont go on plane, even when the throttle is full advanced. There are no alarms. I have good, strong water flow from the cooling system. I can stop, shut it off, sit for a couple of minutes, restart, and it then runs normally with full power. It runs down the lake just fine to full RPM. There is no indication of engine miss or loss of power once on plane. Can run the rest of the day with no problem. Then the issue might occur again.

I have taken it to a Mercury dealer who have not been able to identify the problem. They replaced the spark plugs and a float switch but those repairs did not eliminate the issue. They attached some diagnostic equipment and ran it on the lake but did not get any indication of a problem. It has been suggested I replace the pencil coils or consider replacing or eliminating an anti-siphon valve on my Lund boat.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem and found a correction action? Would appreciate any thoughts.

I am recently having this exact same intermittent issue with my Mercury 115 Opti Max. Did you resolve this issue and, if so, how? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ran across this post after
Start a new thread... Optimax issues are not going to be the same as a Verado issue.

Start a new thread... Optimax issues are not going to be the same as a Verado issue.
Took it to another local dealer in March 2019. Technician contacted Mercury. They determined the pencil coils likely the problem. Replaced the four pencil coils (at my expense - not cheap). Have had the boat out several times ( pulling skiers, fishing) since then with no reoccurrence. Fingers crossed. Technician said Mercury had some pencil coil problems. Hope this helps.

Christopher
1983 E140 Evenrude on a Chaparral 187 was given to me last February 2019...this April/May had it serviced at Able marine repair St Pete...nice fellow did a pretty good job...among some of the items he tended to, for me was Rebuilding the Carbs...So today May 15,
1st issue bulb would not get hard...problem found - took off cowl found both ends of the fuel line connections not secure, I tightened them, bulb got hard started right up..
2nd issue when accelerating/throttling up - tends to bog down, had it at almost 3/4 throttle probably putting out a 1/3 of what she had if that.

New gas Non-Ethanol...vent open....proper ratio Oil/gas....pickups tubes in tank are fine

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined so I know it good be many many things...could you give this a shot and give me something to work with...
( I am thinking maybe carburetors but Able Marine/Rolland rebuilt them )

Thanks
Frankie
Boston to Florida :)

Back