Logo

Is it a Perkins 4107 or a 4108

A

Axel Nagel

" Hi. I just bought a older bo

" Hi. I just bought a older boat with a Perkins 4 cylinder fresh water cooled diesel engine installed.
It is supposed to be a 4.108 55hp from 1982, but I am not sure now.
Found the engine number on the engine block just where the injection pump is mounted.
The number is: 7112958.
Can anyone give as much info as possible (Type/hp/year) on the engine I have?
Thanks in advance. "

" Axel,

Perkins engine numb

" Axel,

Perkins engine numbers should be a combination of up to fifteen letters and figures. Your number doesn't seem to fit their Engine ID sysytem.

Regards,
Andrew "

hi perkins made one engine wh

hi perkins made one engine which i own one without the 4 108 or 4 107 sufix no on it
4 means 4 cyl 107 means 107 cubic inches
6 354 is therefor six cyl 354 cubic inches
and so it goes
but 107s have smaller head studs 3/8 inch
108s are slightly bigger 7/16
if yours are 7/16 with 4 separate cold start plugs in the head its a 108 inch but later model
no plugs in the head then????

"My Perkins 4.108 has become d

"My Perkins 4.108 has become difficult to start, & when it does finally start it is running unevenly, struggles to build up revs & surges back & forth mildly. I have ruled out a fuel problem, new filters have been fitted etc. there seems to be more blue smoke exiting the exhaust. I fear the rings may be shot....has anyone got any ideas? John Hamilton."

hi can anyone help? i have a p

hi can anyone help? i have a perkins 4107 in my boat it is approx 35yrs old the diesel injection pump has broke can anyone point me in the right direction on getting another one. A few people have told me i have no chance as spares are not made anymore for the 4107.

"Early Perkins engines used en

"Early Perkins engines used engine numbers as you discripbe. Numbers starting wiht 73 is 4.108, and 71 is 4.107 engine.
See workshop manual at http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Perkins-4.107_4.108_4.99-WorkshopManual.pdf
According to this manual from 1983 the current engine number system is 15 letters/numbers, and there has been another engine number system inbetween the current system and the number on your engine. Don't know when these numbers have been changed, but i doubt your engine is a 1982 model when it's got this enginenumber."

"I have 1973 sailboat with a p

"I have 1973 sailboat with a perkins which is leaking water from the water pump gasket.Is this an easy fix, is it just the gasket?"

"Please help! We have a old 4-

"Please help! We have a old 4-107 in our boat,and
Im afraid its a dead soldier.So we found a good
108 long block. are my parts going to be inter-
chanable? ie.fuel pump,injectors,exc? thanks."

"I have a 4 236 perkins in my

"I have a 4 236 perkins in my 1975 Morgan sailboat. It sat on the hard for a few years before we got it. I refilled the fresh water system with 50% antifreeze. I put in the kind that is compatable with aluminum. I ran it for a couple of hours with no issue. Then I did not run the motor for about 6 to 8 weeks. When I started it, it ran fine but started to overheat. I had good cooling water flow overboard. After it cooled, I opened the reservior on the front of the engine and discovered crystals that seemed to be antifreeze. They are about 1/8" + - in size and will crush and turn to a kind of grity mush between the my fingers. Some are harder than others but all will crush with very little effort. I have not found anything that disolves them ... so far. I removed the heat exchanger and found it packed with the crystals. I flushed the system and had the reservior and heat exchanger cleaned in a machine shop. I refilled the system and ran it regularly for about 6-8 months then let it sit for a few weeks. Once again it overheated next time I started it. Again I have the crystals. My questions are: Where do the crystals come from and what causes them? How can I make sure that they are all out of the system? How can I avoid them in the future?"

"As you refilled your system w

"As you refilled your system with 50% antifreeze, maybe your fresh water is to be incriminated. i suggest refilling your cooling system with undiluted coolant(if not already done). My 4108 runs with standard car coolant and does not produce any crystals in the primary cooling circuit. It is not the same in the secondary system (sea water ) that needs to be cleaned of tartar deposits."

"Not sure about the crystals,

"Not sure about the crystals, they may be just left behind from the antifreeze evaporating. There may be a slow leak somewhere, check the water pump seals. Have you removed the thermostat and checked it. I would replace it and flush the system with it out by using a recirculation pump tied into the system. This can usually be done by tying into the hot water tank in and out hoses if so equipped. If not tie into the system somewhere else. Use a 20% solution of Muriatic acid and re-circulate it for 15 minutes. This will clean any organic deposits like rust, salt and minerals. The previous owner may have just used water and caused corrosion.
I know you said that you ran the engine before with no issues but did you have it in gear and under load? My guess is the there is a block in the system that may let you idle it but would have overheated when under load. I have seen this quit often. Replace all the hoses to make sure they have not damaged inside. When you refill the system just use regular premixed 50/50 antifreeze. One other thing, have you checked your raw water pump impeller and are you getting good flow out the exhaust?"

Re: hi can anyone help? i have a p

hi can anyone help? i have a perkins 4107 in my boat it is approx 35yrs old the diesel injection pump has broke can anyone point me in the right direction on getting another one. A few people have told me i have no chance as spares are not made anymore for the 4107.

[email protected]
try this link, they suply spares and also recon engines for 4107/8 plus others hope it helps

hi, i have just bourght a 4108 as a spare for my cruser, it came with a couple of spare cav dpa injector pumps, (i paid £300 to get mine repaired 2 months age (sods law) so can be done) if you let me know numbers from your pump one of these might be good for you!!!

www.[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]parts4engines.com has them if you have not found one or try Pensacola Diesel They can rebuild the one you have. [/FONT]

Back