Logo

Carb repair 2 hp EvinrudeJB Weld NOT

D

Don Carron

" My second attempt at a repai

" My second attempt at a repair failed today after an hour on the water. The first lasted maybe 20 min.

The carb body is broken off just where the fuel feed goes down into the float bowl. This break was there when he bought the engine, but "repaired" with silicone RTV. The fitting for the fuel line from the tank is solidly pressed into the carb body, so the fuel line doesn't stress this location. Sounded like a perfect application for JB Weld.

The first time, I built up the area of the break and heated it with lamps to speed the cure. Didn't last long. The engine quit from fuel starvation.

Dis a similar but more careful repair this time and allowed it to cure overnight. Still failed after an hour.

I do not believe it is failing from strain, but from vibration acceleration. The entire clump of filler flakes away from the carb metal as if it didn't bond. Each time, I washed the area with acetone, and I don't believe there was oil remaining, but I have no way of knowing how clean it was.

Does anyone have a suggestion how we might make a solid repair? I hate to buy an entire carb body for such a "superficial" break.

Cheers/Don Carron "

"Don.... Personally I would re

"Don.... Personally I would replace that item. However, in the years that I've been involved with outboards, I have made various repairs if for no other reason than to see if the repair would hold up. And a associate of mine had at one time repaired/patched a hole in the crankcase area of a 225hp engine the size of a baseball. The substance that we used back then, and the only substance I would recommend now is a epoxy type mixture named "MarineTex". This material will bond with anything and is especially great with aluminum. Acetone is the way to go as far as cleaning the item to be repaired. Mix a small amount of the "MarineTex" as per the instructions and apply it where needed. DO NOT apply heat. Heat will of course speed up the curing, but it will also weaken the "MarineTex". Let it cure overnight. NOTE... Be sure to purchase the "GRAY MarineTex". It also comes in a white color but from experience I've found the white mix to be somewhat weak for some reason. Good Luck.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe for the reply. We

" Thanks Joe for the reply. We have tried another JBW repair with a music wire ring to take the load. If this doesn't work, I'll look for Marine Tex. I haven't heard of that one, and we are in a location without a lot of access to boating supplies. However, we might be able to find it at a local store. "

Back