Logo

Just bought a used 8 hp 4 stroke

malone9

Never owned a motor before, so just want to ask some questions.
The previous owner said it needed an engine oil change. Firstly, what oil should I use?/ Viscosity? Is there an oil filter to change and how do i get to it?

The owner said it was a 1986?

Thanks

Mark

No oil filter, they use just a screen. Drain it and refill to specs. You will want to look up or pick up the owners manual for an 86 online.

Here is the link to download it from Honda, you just need your serial number to determine the correct one. It is located on the transom bracket. It will tell you the quantity and type of oil to buy.

https://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF8

Since you have never owned one before and the vintage of that motor, I recommend the following:

1. Inspect the fuel lines, replace as needed.
2. Inspect spark plugs, replace as needed.
3. Replace the lower unit fluid. If you find water, its time for a seal job or determine where the leak is coming from.
4. Replace any inline fuel filter under the cowling
5. Inspect the belt on the motor, replace if you notice cracking or flecks of black rubber on top of the motor.
6. Drop the lower unit and replace the impeller and if necessary the housing.

I am not saying you have to do all of those things, but since it is a new to you motor, I have found that you can't take a mans word for the "last time" it was updated or serviced. Start your own service history, its piece of mind and best for the motor. Just....maybe not your wallet.

Here is the link to the parts for your motor:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...997/bf8ah-sa-vin-bacs-1000001-to-bacs-1099999

One other thing I would inspect is the thermostat. I personally consider these items as my regular maintenance items. I have owned a BF8 of that vintage and it is a great motor. Enjoy it and fish on!

No accessible oil filter. Any modern 10w30 automotive motor oil will protect that engine adequately but Pennzoil brand contains a higher amount of zinc and that is an additive that is recommended in many salt water marine applications.

Or, you can buy Honda brand motor oil for it from any authorized dealer. Honda recommends petroleum based oil ONLY in their outboards but I don't see a problem using synthetic if you want. Although, I think it is overkill and unduly expensive in that engine.

Good luck

I apologize for the simple questions, but i need help confirming the year of my Honda 8 hp motor. The serial number is BACL- 1211742. Is there a website that i could look this up?

Back