Logo

Honda BF150 bogging down

Patrickg

When I go to get on plane the engine bogs down between 3800-4200 rpms. If I turn the motor off, cycle the key a few times to run the high pressure pump, then crank the motor it will plane off and run perfectly.

4 fuel filters have been changed.
Vst filter was cleaned
High pressure pump appears to be working properly
Low pressure pump is pushing fuel

[FONT=&quot]16911-759-003 - I changed this fuel filter, but no fuel seems to be flowing through this filter at all.

Any ideas on what I should check? My best guess is the fuel rail isn’t staying pressurized unless the pump is running. Engine idles and runs perfect at lower rpms.
[/FONT]

The filter you have replaced is a breather filter, there should not be any fuel flowing through it. You need to replace your high pressure filter 16911-ZY3-010 and O ring
16078-ZY3-000, you can't clean a high pressure filter, or should I say,shouldn't. Was this motor running like this before you did all this work?

The filter you have replaced is a breather filter, there should not be any fuel flowing through it. You need to replace your high pressure filter 16911-ZY3-010 and O ring
16078-ZY3-000, you can't clean a high pressure filter, or should I say,shouldn't. Was this motor running like this before you did all this work?

Yes, the motor was running like this before the filters were changed. I blew the VST filter out with compressed air (visually it looked perfect and the VST tank was spotless before touching it. Filters were changed and the fuel pumps were checked to eliminate the fuel issue. Same problem with no difference.

On the hp filter cover that is held on by three screws there is a bolt with a 12mm head, remove that and then you need a 6mm threaded fitting to connect to your fuel gauge.You need to check pressure and monitor what is happening.You also need to cycle ignition a couple of times and then wait to see if pressure leaks down without motor running and then come back to me. I don't diagnose problems through guess work.

I can’t thank you enough for your solid advice! I spent a long time finding a way to connect my gauge to that 6mm fitting and I was able to get it hooked up and ran the boat. When you turn the key the fuel pressure jumps to 45 psi and stays there with no leak down. When the engine is running 4500 rpms the pressure is between 20-25 psi.

that is no gòod, you have a fuel restriction, try connecting a portable tank and see if that fixes it, if not then check the fuel hose where it goes through the rigging grommet,I have often seen the hose crushed by the hose clamp

that is no gòod, you have a fuel restriction, try connecting a portable tank and see if that fixes it, if not then check the fuel hose where it goes through the rigging grommet,I have often seen the hose crushed by the hose clamp

The boat runs the same on a different fuel tank and different fuel line. It runs the same bypassing the fuel filters. I removed the VST tank and checked the float/valve. VST tank was spotless before emptying fuel. The fuel line was not pinched in the rubber grommet. The only things I know of that could be left are the low pressure and high pressure pumps. Any suggestions on diagnosing which one would cause this issue? Both pump fuel, but it seems like it might have slightly reduced production.

quickest and easiest test is to prime the primer bulb to assist fuel flow when fuel pressure drops off and see if it makes a difference. Based on what you have told me, the pressure should increase if the low pressure pump is the problem, if not then it has to be the high pressure side that is at fault

Back