Logo

2006 Honda 50 hp carb rebuild major issue

Johninaustin

Rebuilt all three carbs on my 2006 50 hp Honda, (took some time to get all the parts together, why can't Honda sell a kit?) Put it back together and it started on the first crank. Ran for about 2 minutes smooth as anything. But it then started spitting an amazing amount of fuel out of the carbs and flooded out. By an amazing amount I'm talking "run for the fire extinguisher" time. I've rebuilt plenty of carbs on different engines before, what the heck did I do wrong? No gas was coming out of the overflow tube, all blew back out of the front of the carbs. Maybe I got the fuel hose connections wrong?

Could this be the bystarter? It's still original to the motor. Is there any way to block it out of the circuit to test it? I'd hate to wait for yet another part to arrive in the mail, the "replace things till it gets fixed" method is for the birds.

Any possibility of an issue internal to the carb body? They were in pretty horrible shape prior to my getting them off.

The cold start enrichment solenoid will not allow this amount of fuel to leak, it can only be needle valves not sealing and or incorrect float levels.

With the motor off, pump the primer bulb until it is either hard or your carbs start leaking gas. If they are leaking gas, your floats may not be adjusted correctly, or your float valves are not connected to the float correctly, or you may have the wrong floats or float valves..(i.e.aftermarket). Make sure you change out your oil if you smell gas coming from the crankcase before running the motor. Hope this helps.

Be sure the little black caps are in all of the float valves. If you do not do these that often, it is easy to knock these loose, if you are reusing the valve or just overlook putting them in, if you have new float valves. That would definitely cause the float to be set incorrectly.

Also, if you may have connected the hoses incorrectly in the back of the carburetors and mixed up the fuel nipple with a vent nipple. There are a lot of hoses back there.

Mike

Well, solved the problem by putting the old float valves and spring holders back in. When compared to the new ones it's just a TEEENY bit longer. Why, I have no idea. possibly I was given the wrong part or there was a change during the model year. . It's been running at idle in the barrel for an hour now, no leaking fuel. I think I will stick with them, the motor was stored practically new for almost 12 years and they have no wear really. Now to tune it, it's running a bit rich.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back