Logo

Is this a shift rod seal or shift rod O Ring on Honda 90... how to replace?

Major Tom

Capture.jpgCU shift rod seal-comp.jpg

I was changing the impeller/water pump today and noticed this o ring is really gone.
1. There are 2 potential parts I found online, pretty sure it's the "Water Seal" part #91254-ZY3-003. I checked images online and it's the right size. However there's another part on the diagram that's actually called an O Ring, but it's about 3" wide whereas my part is about 1" wide. So is it the "Water Seal"? And do I need 2 of them... it looks like there are 2 on top of each other in the diagram?

2. Anyone know how to replace it? I'm guessing I just pry it out and slide the new one(s) down. But I read something somewhere online about that it can be tricky and there's a catch or clamp inside... this was not brand-specific, just a general topic on shift rod seals. And I can't seem to find specific info on changing these seals.

It's a 2005 BF90A5 XRTA.

Many thanks for any help!

That is a seal,to replace you need to remove the plastic carrier, more often that not it will be damaged in the process. I would just order a carrier,seal and the o ring that seals the carrier.

Hopefully the link below works.

There are TWO seals. One is used to retain the oil in the gearcase and the other is installed "upside down" or "the opposite way" from the oil retaining seal to keep water out. It is important that you keep these oriented as intended to prevent leaks.

The seals are installed in the "shift shaft holder"...(item 14).

The "oring" you refer to is fitted below the holder and IS much larger than the seals....(item 34)

There is also the spring...(item 11) a plain washer the spring seats on.....(item 24) and an "e-clip" that supports the washer and spring....(item 37)

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...p/bf90a5-xrta-2005/water-pump-vertical-shaft#

This is a "touchy" little job to accomplish properly. Like the previous response indicated, there is the chance you will break the shift rod holder removing the seals. I haven't done this one and don't have the repair manual but the bolt (item 21) and washer (item 25) are for securing the holder to the shaft.

My choice would be to replace the holder in addition to the seals. This would also necessitate renewing the o-ring.

Grind or sand down the outside of the old seals so you can use them as tools for pressing in the new ones.

With everything back together, the gear case must hold a slight vacuum as well as a very low pressure. Measuring this is the "touchy" part. Most DIYers ....and....if the truth be known.....MANY....outboard shops....don't have the tools to measure gear case pressure.

The other side of the equation is:
If the case doesn't hold a vacuum....what leaked?
Your new seals?
The prop shaft?
The drain plug seal?
See??
Touchy!

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you decide to do this and check vacuum AND pressure holding in the gearcase, you will want to see 5" to 10"hg vacuum and 5 to 10psi pressure.

There are plenty of sources that will suggest higher inches of mercury vacuum and greater pounds per square inch pressure but what I have listed is a viable test that doesn't risk unseating a perfectly good seal and causing a false failure.

Back