Logo

Power head removal

tasthree

First off I think I've read every thread on the net about this to no avail for me. I'm also not feeling all that well and don't know how clear of a mind I have. So I figured I'd better ask before I break something. Trying to get The power head off a 1989 50 hp.. I've taken the five 3/8 bolts out on the top. Two on the port side and three on the starboard. Two long 5/16 bolts from underneath for the front of the exhaust tube. Two 3/8 nuts for the rubber shock absorbers. Also took off the mounting plate for the carb choke selonoid and any bolts acessable under that. I can move it around a little bit. Is there any other hidden bolts I'm just not seeing or is it just the exhaust gasket holding in on. If it's just the gasket then how in tarnation are you supposed to pry on it. Nothing to get a purchase on without fear of breaking something. I'm almost ready to try hooking up a come along to the ceiling and try that. Just don't know which bolts to us as there is no lifting hook on the block. Thanks.

If your sure all the bolts and nuts are loose?
Then the silicone's holding it in place.

I thought there was a spot on the back low on the spacer plate that you can pry?
They make a special loop for lifting the motor.

You can reinstall the flywheel and use the 3 holes and make a L bracket to use as an adapter to lift.

I usea 2X4 and a hammer on a solid side of the block to break it loose. That gasket gets welded to the housings pretty good sometimes a bfh is the ticket!

I installed a hook on to a beam in the ceiling at a slight backward angle. I put a sling under the front of the power head and hooked up a come along. I hoisted it up till the boat started to lift off the trailer. I gave the block some wacks with a rubber mallet. Nothing. I was tired so I sprayed some kroil in the gasket area and left it for the night. The first time I forgot The trailer strap wasn't on so I'm going to let in down and put it on and try again. I just don't know if I'm missing a hidden bolt somewhere.

Put the trailer strap on. Got up in the boat. With a large rubber mallet in one hand and a deadblow in the other, I played sideways whack a mole with it. Nothing. Grabbed the sling and shook it real good. Nothing. Jumped up and down on the boat while pulling up and down on the come along handle as violently as I could till I was winded. Nothing. If it's just the exhaust gasket holding it. What in the heck did they use? I believe this is all factory cause all the bolts are/were still coated with paint. And no, I do not see any prying points. FYI. I'm 57 yrs old and have been wrenching since I was about 15. Worked as a welder/ machinest/ equipment mechanic. So I'm no nerd hacking at this. . Of all the stuff I've worked on. I've never seen something this small hold so strong with nothing but the gasket. I still wonder if there is a hidden bolt.

Ok. Success. Had to take a torch with a brazing tip on it to heat it up. There is a opening on the front that I could get the tip into where the gasket was.. With the come along pressure on it I heated it up and it finally let go. Hope this will help someone in the future with a stubborn power head.

Sounds like you have the seven bolts holding it to the if you havent pull the gearbox then put side pressure with the winch and then give it a couple wacks with a sledge hammer and a wood block. Pull the gearbox so you dont bind the driveshaft when it tilts sideways. Looks like alot of surface area the gasket is stuck to it will take some coaxing to break free.

kimcrwbr1. I already posted that I got it off. But your post reminded me that I did forget to add that during the whole process the lower unit was off. Might as well add that the opening I accessed to heat was on the front and underneath the bottom cowling. In the opening for the pivot shaft.

I heard it said one time "It's not the model year it's how many miles are on it". Not to complain but to explain. I'm hooked up to a TPN infusion pump right now for nutrition because I lost to much weight from colon problems. So for me I would have to go back to the age of 25 to feel well again. God is good anyhow.

Back