Logo

1985 Starcraft BV 170 flooring

VinceM

Hello All,

As suggested, I moved this thread from the Evinrude motor forum..

I just purchased a 1985 Starcraft BV 170 with a 110 HP Evinrude. The boat has been sitting for about 20 years, but so far it looks promising to have it running by mid summer. The engine is remarkably complete. I looked down the plug holes with a bore scope and the pistons look very clean. Compression check is coming this weekend.

The most obvious problem is that 20+ years of southwest sun has trashed the deck, so a strip out, complete cleaning and re-deck is one of the first tasks. The boat has front and rear storage compartments which appear to have solid floor underneath. (..this floor also has a different pitch when tapped on.. like it's aluminum under the carpet..) My question then is whether anyone knows if the plywood flooring runs from the tip of the bow to the stern, or if it only runs between the storage compartments? Storage compartments are riveted to the hull. If the plywood floor runs under them that means I will have to drill rivets to remove them for a complete re-flooring. Does anyone know - or remember - anything about these old boats?

Thanks for any info!

Vince in NM

00O0O_3ljYOkmKnYn_1200x900.jpg

Looks to me like alot of wasted space and needless weight. What condition is the transom in? Take a hammer and tap all over you can tell by the tone if there is dryrot underneath it goes thunk. You can drill holes on the inside and see if you can push a ice pick into the wood. Once you get it all stripped down just use a quality AC grade plywood 5/8 is normally good depending on stringer spacing. Does it have a in hull fuel tank? There are alot of things you can do to gain freeboard that motor is going to drink alot of fuel look at the new bass boats you can always get a nice center console gives you freedom to move all around.

Back